3797 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scott_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi! I’m relatively new to Airtable, can I set a button field to go to a specific view and either select or scroll to the related record in a different table?

Basically, I want to ‘one click’ and get right to the related record line on a grid view. I’ve gotten to the table but am unsure how to get the view or related record I’d like selected.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Chris_Guthrie
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

@Scott_Smith. Welcome to the community!

Yes this should be achievable. It’s all about the URL structure.

If you navigate to the view you’re looking navigate to, then look at the URL bar in your browser you’ll see a part of the URL that begins with viw. This is the view ID.

If you open up a record in that view, the URL changes, and now there is a section of the URL that begins with rec. This is the record ID.

You can store these portions of the URL in fields and build them in the button URL formula, or code them directly into the formula.

If you need further assistance, let me know. If you can provide some specifics I can try to emulate something for you.

Thanks, that is helpful. So, I have the record ID stored now. What I’m stuck on is how to navigate to the correct record line item. How would I build the structure of the URL? It seems to just take me to the correct view and stops there. is it. viw…?/{rec id}. or viw…/{rec id}? or am I way off? ha.

What is your ideal view when you click on the link?

do you want to see the card view of the record (the one with revision history, comments, and records fields stacked vertically)?

I could see multiple uses for what I’m trying to do.

1. go to view -> opening the card of the linked record in that view.
  2. go to view -> finding the line # with the linked record. (like how the search feature highlights the record with the found result. So, if it’s on line 24, it scrolls down and line 24 is highlighted)
  1. Totally possible. Is the view for all records the same, or is the view also variable?

Your formula will look something like this

"https://airtable.com/tbl9W9fL9811p3Zml/" & {field containing the target view ID} & "/" & {field containing target record ID}

1. Not really possible to do this, except if you’re okay with using a shared view link to that view. Using the shared view filter, you can have just that record appear in the view. But the downfall of a shared view is that the record is read-only.
Scott_Smith
  1. got it to work, thanks!!!
    B. Is it possible to to do this, but instead of opening up the “rec…” linked record in card view it opens up a new blank record?

2. I’d like to try this, I made the view shareable. How would I structure the link formula?

Thanks so much for the help… really appreciated.