cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dana_Isc
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello,
New airtable user designing a way for employees at a small business to exchange non paid time off. We want to create a “time bank” style exchange, were employees can offer up shifts of different lengths, and other employees can claim them. When you claim an offered shift, you contribute to your balance in the time bank, and when you offer up a shift, you use your balance/credit. I am having trouble figuring out how to set up the formula, though I know it should be simple SUM (hours earned minus hours used). Do I need to put that formula in a specific view of the base? I’m able to set up a column to display that formula but I don’t know how to integrate that with other data I want to include, including the dates to be swapped, employee name, etc. Any advice would be very useful.

1 Reply 1

It depends how your system is setup.

Unlike Microsoft Excel, Airtable does not give us the ability to create formulas that sum data across multiple rows, unless those rows are records in another table that you have linked to your current record in your current table. You can create a SUM of your linked records’ values.

However, if you group your records in the current table, Airtable provides its own built-in summary fields that you can visually see by hovering over the columns that you’re trying to summarize.

If you need more guidance, please include some screenshots of your database.