1164 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
odba
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, I’m using a grid view to sort out volunteers who has registered for one or more available slots for an event. Now, I’d like to make a check-in field in order to know who showed up for the time slots they registered for.

I’ve been trying to use a grid view grouping the records based on the volunteer’s names or the slots, but it seems like the records with multiple selections (i.e. more than one slot chosen) only shows up on one line in the table, which only makes it possible to use a check-in field for the volunteer itself, not the specific slot. Do you have any idea on how I can solve this?

The volunteer system is much like this simple booking system: How to make a simple booking system).

I’ve seen this article (https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042806893-Multiple-select-field) but then I would need separate views for 50+ time slots which wouldn’t work.

If you have any advise, thank you very much!

4 Replies 4

Welcome to the Airtable Community!

You need a junction table to store info about the relationship.

odba

Hi Kuovonne, thanks for much for helping me out. That’s a good suggestion, but as far as I can understand I would need to manually select the relevant records and their relationships.

For example, I can select the volunteer “John Doe” on line 1 together with slot “Ticketing @ 13.00 hrs”. On line 2 I can select “John Doe” again and select the other slot John signed up for, “Kitchen service @ 18.00 hrs”.

Then, I could create a check-box field for each line and could check John in each time when he showed up for the relevant slot.

However, with 100 slots and 100 volunteers, where everybody signs up via a form, this wouldn’t work. Is there a way to do this automatically, with a formula, script or similar? Thanks in advance for any tips, I really cant figure this out… :thinking:

odba

After some more researching I’ve been testing the “create junction table” script from Airtable, but this populates the junction table with all combinations from both my “volunteers” and my “slots” tables, not just the specific fields which I would need, i.e. “name” from volunteers table and the chosen “slot” from the slots table… I could strip the two tables of all info except the fields I want to populate into the junction table, but I’m not sure if this would work - or if it’s a good idea. (Then I would somehow need to store this surplus information from the volunteer form - i.e. addresses, phone numbers, emails etc. - in another table, linking it to the volunteer it belongs to…)

Any advise is greatly appreciated…

Here are two no-code ways of making junction records. I still personally prefer using a script to make junction records.