cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter_Heltzer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi,
I’m trying to set up a form for our baseball league to collect scores from games so we can then do additional data manipulation to calculate win/loss records, calculate total runs for and against etc. The first single select field that I’ve created is to capture the team’s age group. Based on that choice I then want to have a drop down that only shows the teams that are in that particular age group. We’re tracking information on 100+ teams, and I’d like to do this in a single form so we can give our volunteers a one place to go to do their entry regardless of the age of the team. I’m trying to figure out how to populate the second single select to remove the possibility of our volunteers entering a name manually and spelling it differently than we’re expecting or calling the team something different than how we have them in our records. (Think Cards instead of Cardinals)?

As an example we could have:

9YO:
Cardinals, Rockies, Giants, Mets, Dodgers

10YO:
Cubs, White Sox, Giants, Mets, Angels, Marlins

11YO:
Cardinals, Cubs, Red Sox, Mariners, Royals, Brewers

etc…

I’ve also thought about making multiple grids, one for each age group, but I haven’t been able to figure out if there is a way for the form to write to a specific grid based on the selection of age group.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katerie
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

One way to do what you need would be to also make one single-select field for each age group in addition to your main single-select field that selects the age group. For each of these age group fields, populate the options with the list of the teams that are available to that age group.

When setting up the form, click on each of these age group fields in turn and select the “Show field only when conditions are met” option. Set the condition such that it only shows the field when its age group is selected in the age group selector field.

This will cause your form to only show the team selector for each age group, and make it so the form respondents can’t add new options to the field (they would need to select from the available options only). To make your base more tidy, you could use a formula field to pull the data from all of those fields into a single field.

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
Katerie
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

One way to do what you need would be to also make one single-select field for each age group in addition to your main single-select field that selects the age group. For each of these age group fields, populate the options with the list of the teams that are available to that age group.

When setting up the form, click on each of these age group fields in turn and select the “Show field only when conditions are met” option. Set the condition such that it only shows the field when its age group is selected in the age group selector field.

This will cause your form to only show the team selector for each age group, and make it so the form respondents can’t add new options to the field (they would need to select from the available options only). To make your base more tidy, you could use a formula field to pull the data from all of those fields into a single field.

Thank you. I think I see how that can work. It will be a little unwieldy since I need to capture the two teams that are playing each other but I can hide a lot of the messy work in views and formulas.

Yes, we desperately need this functionality!