Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luke_wallace
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m trying to create recurring records, the logic is as follows:

I have a table with Field A and Field B
Field A is a date.
Field B is a calculated date one week from Field A’s date.

When a record’s Field A is older than NOW(), I want to create a new record with Field A being populated with the date from Field B.

Is there a way?

Please note I’m not trying to update records, I need to keep the previous records and just create new ones based on the above rules.

7 Replies 7
Emilio_Lopez_Ro
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Have you tried using zapier? sounds pretty simple.
Trigger: record enters view (view is defined as date>now)
Action: create record (in which date is original record date + 7d)
Cheers,

Hello Emilio_Lopez_Romo

Can you break down the instructions for exactly how to do that? I’m not familiar with Zapier or how to use triggers…

Thanks,

Sara

Here are step-by-step instructions to create the Zap @Emilio_Lopez_Romo described.

1. Log into Zapier.
  2. Select Make a Zap.

Set a trigger

1. Choose App: Airtable
  2. Choose trigger: New Record in view
  3. Connect account: Here you’ll need to provide your Airtable API key to allow Zapier to access your bases.
  4. Setup record: Specify the Base, Table, and View
  5. Pull in samples: Load a record from the base. (You’ll have to create a record that triggers the view.)

Create action

1. Choose app: Airtable
  2. Select action: Create record
  3. Connect account: Select the Airtable account you set up in Step 5.
  4. Setup record: Specify the Base and Table
  5. Set DateA in the new record to be equal to DateB in the original.
  6. Test: Test the Zap. Check the base to confirm it worked.
  7. Name your Zap and turn it on.

That should do it! I tested on a scratch base and it works fine. (I configured the view to show records where {DateA} is equal to Today.)

Michael_Berman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Finally cracked this! if anyone wants to stay inside of airtable…

1. Create a column for the date you want to recur.
  2. I created 3 checked columns, weekly, monthly and yearly - you could do more or less depending on recurring period
  3. I then created 3 columns that test if the date is in the past - if it is, it updates it to the upcoming period (lets say year) IF(DATETIME_DIFF(Date,TODAY(),‘days’)<0,DATEADD(Date,1,‘year’),’’)
  4. I then have 3 more columns that parse DATETIME_PARSE({Relevant year})
  5. The final date is displayed in a single column
    IF(Weekly,{rec-week},IF(Monthly,{rec-month},IF(Yearly,{rec-year},Date)))
  6. If it is important for you to create repeating dates with separate records, you’ll need to use external triggers (zap or ifttt) but for me this solves the repeating date problem. I just realized that I have to change the +1 to the period difference for it to work. If that’s not clear I’ll post
Nancy_Everds
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m new at airtable, and need some help along the same lines as above. I have a column of tasks tin a to do list. I have due dates. Some of the tasks occur weekly, some monthly, some quarterly. I made a column for Repeat date, and put in a formula to repeat every 7 days. However, I want different formulas depending on when task has to be repeated. Is there a way to do that?

Okay, I have a thought. My calculated field is this:
DATEADD({Due Date}, 7, ‘days’)

Can I add another column that has an integer and change the formula to this:
DATEADD({Due Date}, 7*{# of weeks}, ‘days’). In the column “# of weeks” I can put 1 for weekly, 4 for monthly, 12 for quarterly, etc. Would that work? Then can I use Zapier to make recurring tasks?

Charlotte_Vosse
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Does anyone know how to do this without creating new records? I’m trying to create recurring dates (every 6 months) based off an original date without creating a new record each time, just replacing the date every 6 months.

For example - if the date is set for Jan 1st 2022, I want the recurring date of June 1st 2022, then Jan 1st 2023, etc all in the same record.

So far I have used: DATEADD({Start date}, 6, ‘month’) but this only gets me one date and I’m not sure how to go beyond that.