5032 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shomrei_Emunah
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Trying to import via CSV file Multiple Select Values. I want to import Value1, Value2, Value3 as three separate multiple select items. If I separate the values in the cell of the CSV file with commas I get one item “Value1, Value2, Value3”.

is there some delimiter i need to use between seperate values?

Thanks.

11 Replies 11
M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi Shomrei_Emunah

Just to clarify. Do you want one field with different selections or three different fields with one selection?

Where is the data originating from: spreadsheet, another database app or Word document?

I have Imported a CSV file from another database app, with a field with selections, and once I have Imported the CSV file into Airtable, I just create a field with multiple selections and all my choices shows up.

MK

thanks, one field with multiple selections as data.

M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi Shomrei_Emunah

What source is the CSV file created from?

I was asking the above question because if you were exporting/importing from another database, it should be easier to do.

I managed to find this information about deliminatirs on Wikipedia. If you continue to read the whole article, it will get into CSV files, too:

The other idea I had, was to place all your choices into one spreadsheet cell (a spreadsheet would be the best way to do a CSV Import) instead of each choice in a seperate cell and you can start with a few choices, to test the import, You could try with a space deliminator and create a test base, if that does not work, try the other deliminaters, continue until you find what does the trick. You don’t need to keep creating new bases, you can import in the same table. Or maybe you did this. If so, try to place the choices in seperate cells.

I am curious to know how this works, I may need to do it this way myself.

Hope it helps. If not, perhaps someone in the community might have some suggestions.

MK

found my own workaround. have to import the field in to a temporary field formatted like this:

“value1”, “value2”, “value3”

Then once the import is complete, select the field and copy paste into the filed formatted for my multi-select list. then each value is separate.

Jeff_Solomon
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Here are steps to do this:

1. Make a single column in Excel/Google Sheets of the values you want to convert to dropdown options in Airtable
  2. Copy that list into an online free tool to convert list to comma separated string (NOTE: we can’t include links in Airtable community, so just go to Google and search “convert list to comma separated string” then choose the result from convert.town/column-to-comma-separated-list
  3. Create a type = MULTI-SELECT field in airtable (you can change this to SINGLE SELECT later)
  4. Paste the formatted list from step 2 into a new record > that field (i.e. not from “customize this field”, but within the actual column for a new record. This will create all of the items as selection options and add them for that record
  5. Just delete all the values for that record
  6. Change the field type to SINGLE SELECT if you want

Done.

Thanks, Jeff, your solution worked nicely for me.

Bob_Stevens
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I used the TEXTEJOIN command and it worked

Thanks Jeff, this really helped me. I think I’ve found an even easier approach.

1. Make a single column in Excel/Google Sheets of the values you want to convert to dropdown options in Airtable
  2. Create a type = SINGLE LINE TEXT field in airtable
  3. Paste the list from the spreadsheet into the new field (it will paste into many cells/rows/records)
  4. Convert the type to MULTI-SELECT and it will invite you to create new options for everything
  5. Just delete all the values for the cells/rows/records you previously entered
  6. Change the field type to SINGLE SELECT if you want
Joyce_Chia
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

In case anyone is looking at this post - the simplest way is:

1. In your single Excel/Google column, use a comma to separate your tags (eg family violence, child protection) - don’t have tags with commas in them and trim whitespace so you don’t have extra spaces in front of any tags
  2. Copy and paste directly into a multi-select column.

Brilliant! Worked!!! Thank you for saving me LOTS of time!!!

jhoneybairstow1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, when importing multiple select values from a CSV file, you need to use a specific delimiter to separate the individual values within a cell. Since using commas as the delimiter may cause confusion with the commas already present in the multiple select values, you can choose a different delimiter that is not used in the data.

A common choice for such scenarios is to use a pipe symbol, as the delimiter. This symbol is not commonly found in text and can serve as a clear separator for multiple values.