Help

Re: Default value for single select column?

Solved
Jump to Solution
3232 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karl_Berggren
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a table where I want all new entries (rows) to have a default value for a single select column. Is that possible?

62 Replies 62
Skylar_Nichols
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 seems like a quick fix but its years later now maybe I’m missing something?

Joseph_Witzel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 on adding this feature

Stefan_Rickli
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is really the very first thing I googled after creating a few test records. Come on…

To create default values, you can use On2Air.

We have the default value option in both our On2Air Actions and On2Air Amplify apps.

With the Amplify app, you add the default values for your fields. Then every time you create a new record in Amplify, the default is automatically added.

Amplify is a record dashboard app that lets you customize how you view records, linked records, linked tables, and more. You can also edit and view any Google Doc, Sheet, or Slide directly inside Airtable.

The Actions app adds the default value as an automation.

With Actions, you also get an additional 60+ features that integrate with Airtable.

Features like creating Google Docs automatically with Airtable data, bulk create, edit, or delete multiple records, set default field values, copy fields, perform financial calculations, sync Google Sheets, and more.

4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this feature request

Cristian_Bell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for having a default value for single select.
Sure you can use automations - which we’re doing - or a formula field - which is an unnecessary extra field which makes things unnecessarily complicated. Or whatever grouping option.

None of them is really a good option though.

Luke_Newmeyer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please do add this feature! I have multiple situations where this would solve my problem. I have setup an automation which gets me by. A default, however, is so much simpler

Barbara_Usack
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

UPVOTE! I agree with those above. I have a form that feeds one table. The table was originally two spreadsheets/projects that have been merged and are distinguished by the Origin field.
The form is specifically for ONE origin/project, not the other. I want the default drop down in the form to automatically tag the correct origin, rather than having the user choose. Even if told which one to choose they could get it wrong, user error and all. :winking_face:

BenR
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I immediately searched for how to do this upon switching to Airtable. 5 years waiting for this?

2022, Airtable please, we need this! Doesn’t seem so complex though