Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

Extract name from email address

758 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi AT community!
Is there a way to extract a persons name from an email address? I have a form that requestors fill in that automatically creates a record. In the form it asks for an email address, and there’s another column for their name.

If column A has the email address they entered, I’d like column B to hold their name.
Also, all company emails follow a pattern of:
fname.lname@domain.com

How can I add “fname lname” into column B? I just need what’s before the dot, and after the dot with a space in between.

3 Replies 3

Welcome to the community, @Deelemma! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: This can be done using the following formula:

IF({Email Address}, SUBSTITUTE(REGEX_EXTRACT(emails, "[^@]+"), ".", " "))

This extracts all characters up to—but not including—the @ symbol, and then replaces the period in the extracted text with a space.

If you want to capitalize the first letter of each extracted name element, here’s a longer version that will do that:

IF(Email, UPPER(LEFT(Email, 1)) & REGEX_EXTRACT(Email, "(?:.)([^\\.]*)") & " " & UPPER(MID(Email, FIND(".", Email) + 1, 1)) & REGEX_EXTRACT(Email, "(?:[^\\.]*..)([^@]*)"))

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 4.40.49 PM

You can use a formula field to extract the parts of the email address. However, note that that would not appear in the form itself. The formula field would be a different field from the field in the form used to enter the name.

There are many different possible formula fields. Here is one that uses regular expressions.

REGEX_REPLACE(Email, "(\\w+)\\.(\\w+)@.+", "$1 $2")

OMG with the caps were a nice touch! Thank you all. This puppy is SOLVED!