cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbrauns
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi -
I’m running into a problem when I try to group a list of events. The dates are from Dec. 21 up to Dec. 22 and I’ve one column witha formula that extracts the month from the date column.
I can sort my table by the date field and it’s all fine, but when I then group by month, the order gets messed up. How can I create a grid view that is sorted by month and shows the month in the right order? And in addition with a two times December (21,22) entry??

Thanks for any help!

2 Replies 2

Assuming your formula results in “December” and not “12”, you could adjust your formula to do something like:

DATETIME_FORMAT({Date A}, "YYYY - MM - MMMM")

to result in “2021 - 12 - December” so you can group by each month in the proper order.

Ben_Edmonds
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I'm seeing something similar:

• Our table has a "date" field with time enabled, and it is named "Date & time"
  • Another field named "Date" which is formula:
    DATETIME_FORMAT({Date & time}, 'D MMM YYYY')
    This gives us friendly dates like "19 Sep 2023".
    • NB: This field does not allow formatting. It has the message: Your result type is not a number or a date. Formatting options are currently only available if your result type is a number or a date.
    • My understanding is that the DATETIME_FORMAT formula should set the output as a date, not a string (data type). https://support.airtable.com/docs/formulas-and-date-fields
  • Creating a few that groups by the "Date" field, seems to sort it as a string (not a date). 

Screenshot 2023-09-19 16.43.28.png

 I'd expect the groups in this screenshot to be in this order:

• 19 Sep 2023
  • 18 Sep 2023
  • 19 Sep 2023
  • 25 Aug 2023
  • 22 Aug 2023
  • 21 Aug 2023