Help

Re: How are people organizing workspaces?

1032 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anthony_Lee
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We have one workspaces that our team shares, and it’s a nightmare to organize all the bases that exist in the workspace.

How do people organize all the different bases in one workspace?

6 Replies 6

My personal opinion is, don’t bother. I don’t bother to organize my bases at all — instead, I give them good, descriptive, and memorable names. Then, I use the “Base Jumper” command to navigate from one base to another (cmd + K on macOS). That pulls up a search bar, much like Spotlight search on macOS, and I start typing — after just a few keystrokes, the base I am looking for appears as the top option in the choices below, and I hit enter.

2018-08-28 15.23.48.gif

P_B
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Changing the color of the base icons helps me. Also, any sample template that isn’t yet in use has a grey icon.

Pamela_McVay
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a small team. We use a different base for each major kind of project. So, we’re doing (73) translations, applying for (3) grants, and putting together a collection of (probably hundreds of) supporting materials, and each of those three kinds of projects has a named base.

It sounds like you might want to rethink how you are using bases and views within bases. Views are very powerful and can eliminate a lot of duplication. I can be a rewarding exercise to see where you can combine bases.

Neo_Nebuchadnez
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

If you have a lot of bases, this solution may work for you.

• Create a base and name it : Airtable Bases Structure
  • Customize this base to contain all bases information that will help you organize your team.
  • Each time you create a base, add it to the Airtable Bases Structure.
  • Add information about the base, like Created date, Team members, and share it with your team.
Irene_Pak1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This is my solution, posted here. 

TLDR: sync your bases to Google Drive (settings in your Account Overview page) and then sync that folder back to a synced table in a new base. Each record will correspond to a base with a button that takes you directly to that base. Add custom fields and then group/sort away!