2750 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karen_Malcolm
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We have several bases that we need to synch to a primary base. All fields need to synch except one. We have downloadable files that we need to change out for each synched base, but cannot edit them once we synch once we do this. Does anyone know how we can synch our bases and leave that once column editable?

6 Replies 6

Welcome to the Airtable community!

It is not possible to edit a synced field in a synced table. A synced value can only be edited in its original base, not in the grid view of the synced table. There are complex workarounds involving code for using the REST API to trigger a code change in from the synced table back in the original base, but they are fairly complicated.

It is possible to add a new editable field to a synced table. You add the editable field to the synced table the same way you add a new field to any other table. Note that the source table will be unaware of this editable field in the synced table.

Also, to make things a little easier for you when editing your records in your source table, you can add a button field to your destination table that will take you back to the original record in the source table for quick editing there.

Karen_Malcolm
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I think this will work, thank you!

Coming in a couple years late here... hi @kuovonne 

It seems like there's no way to reverse sync new fields back to the original base. Is the only solution to this still custom code?

Airtable recently announced two-way sync for Enterprise accounts. That will let you edit synced fields in the target base. 

@Franko_Ali 

If you can’t get on the Enterprise plan, you can also do this in a non-coding way by using a no-code tool like Make.

There is a small learning curve with Make, which is why I created this basic navigation video to help. I also provide the links to a few other Make training resources there as well. For example, to instantly trigger your Make scenarios from Airtable, check out this thread.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld