420 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joshua_Botts
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am trying to ingest records that include formatted text from another database into Airtable. I have tried converting the formatted text to markdown and packaging it in XML so I could use the XML import app to add it to my base, but when I try to map the element containing the rich text to a column with rich text enabled, that column is not available in the picker.

I hope that the API allows for creation of records with rich text, but - before I spend time writing the code to try to do this, I wanted to confirm 1) that I did not make some kind of error in the XML import app or in configuring the relevant column in my base that precluded that method from working and 2) that the API should allow for this functionality. I tried searching the documentation in the help center, but found nothing describing any limitations to or methods for importing rich text.

2 Replies 2

Welcome to the Airtable community!

Which API are you interested in using? Airtable has at least three APIs.

• REST API
  • Scripting API
  • Custom Apps API

All three of these APIs let you create and update records with rich text fields. The documentation for them is here, not on the support website. Keep in mind that Airtable’s rich text fields support only a subset of Markdown.

Joshua_Botts
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks for the response, and for confirming that the APIs are a viable path forward!