Help

Re: Is it possible to update a specific table with a google sheet sent as an attachment to an email?

Solved
Jump to Solution
518 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsallis
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I would like to send an email to an specific email address with a google sheet as an attachment and have the info in the sheet updated in my table.
Thanks a lot for any help

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ben_Young1
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hey @tsallis

Is it possible? Of course!
That's not a problem at all. The problem is filling in the details on which method of doing it best fits your needs.

Off the top of my head, here are some examples of how you might approach doing this:

Method 1

Utilize Airtable's Emailed data source and have the email containing the CSV file send to the generated email address that Airtable provides you. From there it's all plug-and-play and quite simple.
I actually think that the emailed data source is one of the most under-appreciated features of the platform.

Method 2

Utilize a tool like Zapier or Make to configure a workflow that isolates emails that fit your predefined conditions.
From there, you can either parse the data from the CSV and conduct either a regular or destructive upsert action on your data in Airtable.

As a slight permutation on this method, you could just have Make/Zapier forward the email to a synced email table as referenced in Method 1.

Method 3

Write a service for your email server that grabs emails to a certain inbox or address, takes the CSV, parses and validates the data, and then utilizes either the Airtable Web API or the Sync API to update the data in your database.

There are countless permutations to these methods that fit different requirements depending on your unique needs.
In order to provide more specific guidance and recommendations, we'd need more information and details on what data you're getting, where it's coming from, the uniformity and predictability of its formatting, whether you need data validation, where supposed to go, etc.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Ben_Young1
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hey @tsallis

Is it possible? Of course!
That's not a problem at all. The problem is filling in the details on which method of doing it best fits your needs.

Off the top of my head, here are some examples of how you might approach doing this:

Method 1

Utilize Airtable's Emailed data source and have the email containing the CSV file send to the generated email address that Airtable provides you. From there it's all plug-and-play and quite simple.
I actually think that the emailed data source is one of the most under-appreciated features of the platform.

Method 2

Utilize a tool like Zapier or Make to configure a workflow that isolates emails that fit your predefined conditions.
From there, you can either parse the data from the CSV and conduct either a regular or destructive upsert action on your data in Airtable.

As a slight permutation on this method, you could just have Make/Zapier forward the email to a synced email table as referenced in Method 1.

Method 3

Write a service for your email server that grabs emails to a certain inbox or address, takes the CSV, parses and validates the data, and then utilizes either the Airtable Web API or the Sync API to update the data in your database.

There are countless permutations to these methods that fit different requirements depending on your unique needs.
In order to provide more specific guidance and recommendations, we'd need more information and details on what data you're getting, where it's coming from, the uniformity and predictability of its formatting, whether you need data validation, where supposed to go, etc.

Thanks a lot for the different methods. Will try the first one because it better suits my needs. Thanks a lot!