6130 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RGordon013
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hopefully I’m posting this in the correct section. If not, please direct me to the correct one. I was going to post in the API section, but this seemed like a “broader” section to start with.

I have setup AirTable to support a gaming group of which I’m the admin. The multiplayer game does not have any admin tools leaving us to develop our own solutions. Having done table design and DW/BI work in the past, I was able to build the table structure and views without any difficulty; once I learned how the table linking worked in Airtable.

I’ve even been able to create and post the “forms” for users to input data and respond to events with their “bids”. The next logical step is to create the output I need. I’ve attempted to connect Excel to Airtable with little success. I can get the connection created, but I only get a single field of “Record” values. Total rows is correct, but I can’t see any of the fields. I’m familiar with ODBC, SQL, etc. but have no experience with JSON, Java or other web based tools.

Frankly I’d use SQL Server or Access as the back end but making those available online given that this is all voluntary work and there is zero budget has proven difficult. That’s why I selected Airtable. That and I’m trying to move as much of the work onto an iPad as possible as that’s the platform most often used by the players and myself.

I assumed integrating Excel would be easy, but as I mentioned earlier, I have not been able to make it work. When I search the forums for Excel I can’t find any reference to it, which seems strange given, I expected my use case to be very common.

So, ultimately, I’m looking for direction on how to best integrate Excel (for reporting) with my Airtable environment. Any help is appreciated. Additionally, any information that is needed to help me with this I can post upon request.

8 Replies 8
RGordon013

I’m amazed that this topic hasn’t sparked some discussion. Am I really the only one who has tried to link Excel to Airtable?

openside
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

You’re best bet is to export the Airtable as a CSV file and then open in Excel.

If you wanted you could sync your base with a Google sheet using the railsware plugin ( I’m on my phone so can’t link it but you can search it on the forums)

Mark_Barnard
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Great topic but I am sure Airtable wants me locked into Airtable.

Love airtable but every time I share a link my bill goes up…I’m prices out and would love to download everything into an excel or google docs sheet.

Benjamin_C
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Did you see this post ? Airtable link to Excel via Power Query
It did the job to use analytics from my Airtable bases in live !

Tim_Heymans
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

There are several “automation services” out there that allow to do what you desire: Zapier, automate. io and Integromat should all work for you.

(…Unless I misunderstand your question.)

MichaelTomar

Have you tried 3rd parties to configure Excel and Airtable integration? Skyvia, as an example, is pretty simple to use (no code) and has a freemium model. Take a look here.

The easiest, quickest, best, cheapest, and most powerful way to integrate & automate Microsoft Excel with Airtable is to simply use Make's Microsoft Excel integrations & automations for Airtable.

If you have never used Make before, you will need to learn how to use it because there is a small learning curve. This is why I have assembled a bunch of Make training resources in this thread:
https://air.tableforums.com/t/make-com-basic-navigation-tips/277

For example, to send Airtable record data to a Make webhook, check out this thread:
https://air.tableforums.com/t/sending-airtable-data-to-an-external-webhook-such-as-make-com/159

And Make even lets customers sign up for most (but not all) of their secret partner training program, which contains dozens of hours of training videos.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire the world’s top expert Airtable & Make consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld