cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patrick_Matos
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello community!!

I’m really hoping for some help here as I’m struggling to find the solution.
Here is my problem:
I’m running a survey into multiple schools / classes, and I can’t link the # of the survey to the students in each class automatically.

So on one hand I have a table with the surveys that I will be running in each school and class. On another hand I have a table with all my students with the class they are in as well as the school.

If I would be in excel, I would create a basic concatenate of the unique combination of school+class and link to the student table.
In Airtable I’m able to link yes. But by doing this through the link to a record field, I need to manually associate the students to to the other table, which when I will have 2000 students it’s going to be a huge problem.
I’m attaching screen shots… thanks for the help!!!

Patrick
School table
Students table

4 Replies 4

Hey Patrick, maybe you could try creating that concatenation you mentioned of school + class for both the School and Students tables, create another table called Classes, and then link everything together via that value with automations? You’d then be able to pull over the survey value via a lookup field

Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 11.14.02 AM

Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 11.14.11 AM

Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 11.14.08 AM

Thanks a lot @Adam_TheTimeSavingCo that’s very very helpful!
One question for you… when you create the “link to table school” on the classes table, do I need to pick the school every time ? Or can it be automatically recognized ?
That’s my concern, is that I still need to manually select the school each time.
Or am I mistaken?

Thanks a lot!

You’d use an automation to link it up, and it’d depend on where your records were being created

For example, if your records are primarily being created in the Students table, then you’d have an automation that would trigger when a record in that table’s Classes field was empty and its Concat field was not empty, and the action would be to paste the value in the Concat field into the Classes field, which would automatically link them together, does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense !! Thank you very much again for the help, very appreciated!