cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ashley_Posluns
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi!

I am really stumped and hoping someone can help. I am trying to add a lookup field that filters in my budget from another table.

Here is my first table, you can see I have the linked record (idk why it’s empty) and the lookup field for budget, but it is empty.
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 3.59.17 PM

Here is the other table I am trying to filter in from, as you can see there is budget in every column (sorry for the narrow screenshot, private info cropped out)
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 3.59.29 PM

Am I misunderstanding lookup fields? Any insight is appreciated!

3 Replies 3

Your screenshot does not show a linked record field. It shows a single line text field and a currency field.

Based on your screenshots I’m not sure what it is you’re trying to do. You have a table with books and the budget for each book. How is this supposed to relate to your second table? What is the second table for?

If “Record A” is linked to “Record B”, a lookup field in “Record B” can show you the value for one field associated with “Record A”. Although not shown in your screenshots you’ve said your linked record field is empty. That means your Lookup fields will have nothing to lookup.

Hi @Kamille_Parks, thank you for the reply. Sorry, my linked record field was hidden. Here is the linked record field and the lookup field, but they are both filtering empty.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 9.55.00 AM

I’m trying to bring in the budget from Table B to this table shown above (Table A), so that the budget can be seen in both tables. Does that make sense? Here’s how I set it up:

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 9.54.53 AM

Thank you so much for your help!

A link to another record field doesn’t filter anything. You haven’t linked any records together so that field is empty. As I said in the other reply, if a link to another record field is empty then a lookup field has no data to display. Records don’t just link to each other automatically, you always have to tell Airtable what record needs to be linked to what.

I’d recommend reading Airtable’s support articles or watching a tutorial so you understand the basics of how Airtable works.

support article: How to link records in Airtable – Airtable Support
video: How to link records & tables in Airtable - YouTube