Help

Re: Multiple Forms in a Table, can I tag submissions with which form was filled out?

1149 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob_Kissner
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all!

I am working with a client that is using several different forms in a table, and they want to tag submissions with which form is filled out. In other words, if someone fills out form #1, the record that is created indicated that form #1 was filled out. If form #2 is filled out, then the record indicates that form #2 was filled out, etc.

I am sure there is a way to do this, but I can’t figure it out for the life of me!

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

Welcome to the community, @Rob_Kissner!

Unfortunately, that’s not possible with Airtable, which has very weak/limited form features.

In general, when it comes to Airtable, you’ll always be much better off by using a professional form building tool like JotForm, which has native integration with Airtable.

However, if you’d like to stick with Airtable’s forms, the only way to do this would be to create additional fields in your database (one for each form), and add each one of these new fields as a required field onto each one of your forms. It could be as simple as a checkbox or something like that. It needs to be required on the form, though. Then, after the user submits the form, the very presence of a value in that field would indicate which form the record came from.

You could also add automations — one for each field — that would change the value of other fields based on the presence of a value in those additional fields.

Based on @ScottWorld, This is the only solution if you wan’t to stick with AirTable. Other wise you can use some third party tools and achieve it.

Expanding on @ScottWorld’s suggestion:

1. Have a single select field that indicates which form is being used.
  2. In each form, limit the possible value for the form to the one relevant to that form, require that field be filled out, and place the field at the very end.
  3. In the link or embed for the form, prefill the single select value.

This limits the possibility of data entry errors and user effort.

Rob_Kissner
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@kuovonne This is really helpful, I will give this a try. Thanks so much!

Thanks so much for the insight. I agree, Airtable’s form features are a bit lacking. The client would ideally like to stay in Airtable, so I will definitely experiment with your suggestion.

This is interesting — I didn’t know that this was a feature available in forms. This is why Airtable needs to give us an ongoing log of changes to their product. Everyone is left to their own devices to discover changes on their own.