Help

Re: Multiplication formula? Any resolution?

Solved
Jump to Solution
2900 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rachel_List
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I’ve seen a couple of different places where other users encountered the same issue when trying to use a simple multiplication formula (it simply does not work gives #ERROR! I am using the asterisk. I’ve read every piece of information available and still am not finding any resolution. I’m going to be pretty pissed if after all the work I’ve done I have to abandon this because of this error in a very basic formula. I used ask a question already and no response yet. I kind of need to get it fixed or move on to something that actually works. I thought I had finally found a gem :frowning:

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Hiram, it looks like you may be encountering a separate issue. Could you please email support@airtable.com so we can look into it?

See Solution in Thread

8 Replies 8
Kasra_Kyanzade1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We just resolved this over support, but for anyone else running into this issue: double-check that the column’s type is set to “number”. Numeric formulas won’t work with non-numeric column types such as text.

Sorry, but this solution is not working and I too am ready to abandon ship and move on, back to writing SQL (which I hate but at least it can be wrestled to the ground!). I have what in database world should be kindergarten stuff. i calculate paychecks and there are 3 levels of par, straight, time and a half, and double. Collected hours are entered into a separate table for each level, all 3 of which link back to the pay day date. This all works perfectly, but the formula returns #error! for any multiplication I ask the it to do. All values, including the base rate of pay, are Number types. So:
{Straight Pay} * Rate returns #error!
{Straight Pay} / Rate returns #error!
{Straight Pay} + Rate returns the correct value
{Straight Pay} - Rate returns the correct value

What on earth? By the way, I am using 1.1.12. Is that possibly from before the bug was fixed?

Hi Hiram, it looks like you may be encountering a separate issue. Could you please email support@airtable.com so we can look into it?

Stuart_Wilson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I solved this and just thought I’d add it to the record.

The multiply operator * multiplies two numbers, but it cannot multiply other types like lookups. If you need to lookup a number and multiply it, cast it to an int before multiplcation.

Here’s an example from my table: {Qty/Pack}*{Packs/Kit})*INT({Kits Needed} - Qty/Pack and Packs/Kit are both simple number fields, but Kits Needed is a lookup to another table and needs to be cast to an int.

Yeah, lookups are returned as arrays, which can also become a problem when dealing with multiple values, especially text values, since Airtable doesn’t have a full set of array functions (and no way to construct an array outside of a lookup, AFAIK).

In addition to using INT or VALUE, you can also use ARRAYJOIN to convert an array to a string.

Chantelle_Green
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Requiring the “number” column is a ridiculous and impractical limitation. I have a simple ticket setup where I’ve created nested IF formulas so that when I select a certain ticket type the income for that ticket is automatically populated. All I want is to be able to take the number generated multiplied by a column defining the number of tickets, but based on this thread I understand this is not possible because my formula column is not a number column? Based on this, the best solution I can come up with is to have a second number column where the generated cost is copy/pasted, which elongates the table and interrupts the automation that I want (and begs the question, “why am I not just doing this in Excel??”). Can the process be simpler?

Welcome to the community, Chantelle! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: I think you may be mis-interpreting something. Because your formula generates a number, that can be multiplied with the content of another numeric field without any issues.

Boom. I had the same issue and your explaination about the use of INT() was perfect. Seems like I need to go to some kind of spreadsheet school.