1473 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yoshiki_Kuraki
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Many blank records are unwillingly created when my staff try to create a record in a filtered view. For example, if the filtered field is “status” and he/she create a record without inputing the status field, then a blank record is created and filtered behind the view. He/she doesn’t know this issue because the record is already filtered.
I think Airtable should make a function to “confirm the entry” before the record is filtered. Or any other solution for this?

6 Replies 6

As a workaround, you could Group by Status, so on creating a record, the Status is added.

In my Wardrobe Manager base, I set the topmost field in my default (first-listed) views to be an alert field. That field displays a warning message bracketed with Fire emojis ( :fire: ) whenever any of a number of likely data input errors is encountered. (For instance, in your case one of the triggers might be

IF({status}=BLANK(),' :fire: :fire: Error message :fire: :fire: ','')

.)

I also roll-up such error messages from several tables usually accessed as a drill-through from the main data entry table and concatenate them as an overall {alert} that displays on the main record. You can see an example of this by following the above link and selecting ‘Explore the base’; the first record in the second kanban column displays a ‘no contact’ alert. This is an alert generated by the linked [out] table record that I pull through to the [garment] record.

Admittedly, it’s not as fool-proof as full-blown data validation would be, but in generating the alert I am able to provide feedback to the user before he or she exits the detail window during record creation.

Jean_Pierre_Tr1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

The most obvious suggestion is the create a form from where your staff has to create new records.
In the form you will be able to make the “status” a compulsory record.

Christoff
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Four relevant feature requests:

1. Have a default value for a Single Select field. (I’m assuming that “status” is a Single Select field. If it is Single line text, then you can specify the default text.)

2. A new record shouldn’t be saved until the user presses “Enter”.

3. Have Filters work the same as how Sort currently works: Don’t automatically apply the filter on newly-created records.

4. A new record could default to those field values that are specified in the filter as “=” or “is”. For example, if the current view is filtered by “Status=Active” and “Entry Date= today”, then any new record created in that view would have “Active” and “today” by default.

One more thing: The newly-created, filtered-out record is not necessarily blank. You can create a record with some field values if you start entering data immediately after creating a new row, and then (after a second or two) the record will be filtered out if the relevant fields don’t have values corresponding to the filter.

Tal_Shulman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there any improvement or a better way to do this then a form?
My (and the trivial use-case):
I have many projects and each has its own view. When I want to add a task to a project, I would expect to automatically have the current grouped and filtered fields, anything else is really making a mess/takes way too much work for simple record additions.

Rob_JPL
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi. Any updates on this? I am trying to add new rows to my airtable that is filtered, and immediately upon making a new row it’s filtered out of the list before I can type anything into it. This happens when sorting on a field as well, which is also super annoying.

This is an oooold issue and I would have expected a fix by now. It’s clearly a usability bug. How do we boost this up the priority list?

I have a form created, but I’m trying to paste in multiple rows of data at once from another spreadsheet, and I can’t do this with a form.

My current workaround is to add some a column of cells in Excel with the filtering data I want, then copy/paste them into the right column of Airtable and “expand” the table upon paste. This puts placeholders into some fresh/empty columns that I can then fill into. Is Excel really the workaround to Airtable? :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: