2725 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prodromou
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello, similar to prefill a form with custom information (https://support.airtable.com/docs/prefilling-a-form), is  there a way to prefill a gallery view? 

Background:

• customerID is added to gallery link
  • logged in customer clicks on the gallery link on our website
  • now he browses the gallery to see what he wants
  • each item has a button to trigger an automation/script,
  • were the customerID is needed

Using a form will not help due to the missing images & information added to each gallery item.

Maybe somebody has an idea how to solve it?

best Dimitrios

5 Replies 5

Hmm, you can add filters to shared views, documentation here.

Not sure whether it fully solves your problem though

marks
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

For the first part of your question, I think you're looking for shared view URL filters.

However:

• from a quick test, it seems you can only filter by fields that are visible so you would need to include customerId as a visible field in the gallery card
  • shared views are read-only so the viewer would not be able to check a checkbox (for example, to trigger an automation) or a button that would trigger a scripting extension. You could have a button that goes to a URL though.

Just an idea: may be better suited by having users invited to an interface and filtering the records shown in the interface to be filtered based on customer ID or even the user who is viewing the interface.

prodromou
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Interfaces only work with airtable signed up users, if i am not mistaken? Our customers have no relation with airtable and no account.

regarding shared URL filter

The table/gallery has no idea about the customerID and does not need it when showing the gallery. There is no filter. Every customer can see all items. Only the automation, after button click, would need it to assign the gallery item to this one customerID.

More background:

• our own system
  • customers with customerIDs
  • gallery in airtable with various items, with pictures, videos etc.
  • click on a link on our system and will be directed to airtable gallery
  • here various items are shown with no relation to this customer
  • customer can choose one item
  • clicks button on bottom
  • item will be then placed into customer account in our system (through automation)

If it would be with a form, this would be easy. Prefill the customerID through the link, customer selects one item from dropdown, clicks submit, and automation places it into customer account.

best Dimitrios

marks
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Ah, I (think I) see. So you really want to pass the customer ID into the gallery view and then wish a button on the card/record that links to a form could also include that customer ID. That's not currently possible. 

Simplest solution seems (to me) to have a form with the customer ID prefilled and a linked record that lets them select a product. If they don't have enough information in the linked record to make a decision, they can reference the gallery view, copy the time ID/name, and populate the linked record field.

And you're right -- Interfaces do require a login, but you can invite people and have them access to only the interface (and not the base) and be able to take advantage of being able to attribute their edits/actions in the interface to them.

prodromou
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We already looked into the combination of prefilled form + gallery, but customer would need to go back-and-forth between them and remember the name to select the desired item in the form. Then form is submitted and they would need to reload the form to choose a second item etc.

so no really user friendly.

Anyways, thanks for the help, maybe it will come in future.