cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcampello
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello community.

I have a bank statement, inside it I have the words “deposit”, “payment”, etc… I need to populate a single select field based on the content of the text field.

It should work like this:
IF i find the word “deposit”, select “Income” on single select field
IF I find the word “payment”, select “Outcome” on single select field

Makes sense? Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot :winking_face:

2 Replies 2
John_Reid
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey,

I think this can be done pretty quickly with an automation. Something like this:

Screenshot 2022-04-28 at 16.43.19

Triggers when the Bank statement field is updated, then if it contains ‘deposit’ enters ‘income’ in the single select, and if it contains ‘payment’ enters ‘outcome’ in the single select.

Let me know if you’d like me to break down the actions any further.

Hey @mcampello!
Welcome in!

Yeah! This is totally possible.

You will want to use an automation to do this.
Configure it using a trigger based on any updates to records in your table.

Skip the set actions, and instead skip straight to the first conditional layer.

Here, you want to set the condition to run if the field contains “deposit”.
If that evaluates true, then run an Update Record action.
Then just have the action update the single select field with the “Income” picklist option.

Then you’ll hop to the second condition which will run if the first condition fails.
You’ll do the exact same thing, but just switch out the values for the other condition you’d like to evaluate!

I highly recommend that when you insert the text string into your conditions to evaluate, you should transform the text using the option to lowercase the entire string.
Then make sure that you input ‘deposit’ (case sensitive) into the evaluating field.
This will protect you against any strange case sensitive behavior.

I’m not exactly sure that the automation is case-sensitive, but I’ve run into issues in the past with case sensitivity, so it’s a measure I like to take when setting up something like this.

Let us know if you have any questions or if I have just completely misunderstood something!