cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ines_Gonzalez_D
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello,

I am trying to figure out Airtable and how to make it work best.

At the moment, I have products that can sell individually, let’s say a rose and sunflowers, but sometimes I sell them together in a bouquet (we can refer it as a package) which can constitute of 5 roses and 3 sunflowers.

I think the main issue is that I have multiple products that have the same name (ex. sunflowers) that go into different packages (ex. bouquets). This is why linked records might not work best for my model.

As of right now, I have all the products and packages as single select. I want to find a way to break up my package single select (bouquet) to be divided and entered as individual flowers.

Is this a possibility?

Best,
Ines

8 Replies 8

Hi @Ines_Gonzalez_Di_Mar

If I understand your context correctly, I would work with linked fields where you add different flowers (if you are able to name them so that they are identifiable) to a bouquet. In a third table, you could input your sales and select the bouquet(s) (or the individual flowers).

The advantage would be that you can, for example, automatically calculate the cost of a sale based on the cost of the bouquet (and thus the individual flowers).

Hello @Databaser

I tried working with linked records. My issue now is that I want the view to have 2 different groups. One being grouped with by month and the other by product (in this case the flower).

When I tried doing this with linked records for the packages (bouquets), it would only group the first product (ex. roses) of the linked record, not considering the rest of the flowers (sunflowers, hydrangeas etc). My goal is to have it grouped by each section, having the bouquet to show up in the roses grouping, the sunflower grouping and the hydrangeas grouping.

Is there any other solution?

So, in the “flowers” table, you have groupings per flower?

Sunflowers

• type a
  • type b
  • type c

and you want to know in which bouquets those flowers can be used? For the individual flower, you could use a lookup field (to the “bouquets” table. For the group “sunflowers”, that won’t be possible.

Am I understanding this correctly?

At the moment, I have line items for all my flowers. So “rose”, “sunflower”, “summer bouquet”, “sunflower bouquet” etc each product would be in the format of a single select. However, when I do the counting of all my products, I want to be able to extract that in the “summer bouquet” I have 5 roses and 3 sunflowers. If I do a linked record, since I first input roses, whenever I try to group it by that linked record, it only takes into account my roses, not the sunflowers, even if they are included in the field.

I think you understood it, but just showing a specific example to be extra clear :slightly_smiling_face:

Hmm, is it possible to share some screenshots here? It’s always quite difficult to imagine databases from text only :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually, I was just given the great idea of creating an automation!

The idea behind the automation is whenever I enter the bouquet information, it would automatically create a record for each flower included in that bouquet.

However, now my issue is that bouquets and flowers all are under the category of product and whenever I try to create a new record from that table, I am not allowed to to create more records from the category product.

I am sending you screenshots of a simplified version of my orders table with me trying to create the automation and then not being able to since the only “product” I can select is the bouquet again rather than a new product or even update the product to a new one.

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 3.12.57 PM
Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 3.13.15 PM
Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 3.13.31 PM
Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 3.14.54 PM

So if an order for a bouquet gets in, you want it split up with 1 record for each individual flower. Got it.

Just note that it might not be practical to follow up on orders when you have doubles: 1x the bouquet + x times the individual flowers. Depending on what your flow is, you could specify the individual flowers in a different table. That way, you can check off the order itself when all flowers are collected (or something like that :slightly_smiling_face: ).

You have to “create a record” for every individual flower. Then, just type in the necessary “product” instead of selecting them from the previous step. That way, they will be added to your select field options.

Hi @Databaser

Thank you! I was able to solve it.

Thanks so much for the time and dedication.

Have a great day,
Ines