Help

Re: Uniform Ordering – Configuring Conditional Form Fields appearance with Lookup Items

599 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamie_Kelly
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi everyone,

Basically, I’m putting together online forms for staff uniform orders for my organisation, a heritage organisation which manages over 80 visitor sites across the country.

We have two broad categories of uniform sites – Formal and Casual. Formal is shirts, smart trousers, waistcoats etc — Casual is polo shirts, cargo trousers etc.

What I’m looking to achieve is to have a form where staff can click on their site and the form automatically reveals the options relevant to them — so those who click “Site A” (which is a Formal site) see the options for shirt and waistcoat sizes, whereas those who click “Site B” will see options for polo shirts, but not for shirts or waistcoats.

I have a Sites table that contains all of our sites which staff can select from. It includes addresses, management and whether the sites are designated as casual/formal. I even have the “Site type” (i.e. Formal or Casual) included in the Form’s table as a Lookup field pulling from the Sites table.

The problem is that when I go to e.g. the Shirts field and click “show field only when conditions are met”, the Site Type lookup is not included, and thus I can’t tailor the options this way.

The current workaround I have in place is to have two separate forms for Casual and Formal sites. However, I would ultimately like to merge the forms so all of the orders are in one place. I’ve considered just adding “(Formal)” or “(Casual)” at the end of the “Site Name” field, so I can set the condition “Site Name includes ‘Formal’”, but that seems like a bit of an inelegant stopgap measure.

I hope that makes sense. Any suggestions? Is what I’m looking to do possible, and I’m just struggling to see the forest for the trees?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: I should note that thus far I’ve had success in using the conditional fields for Gender preferences – but that’s because I’ve got a Gender field at the start. For Site Type, it won’t be immediately obvious to staff whether their site is Formal or Casual – so basically I want to automate this to make it easier for them, showing them only the options relevant to them.

And the workaround with two forms works because I created two different views in the Sites table i.e. (1) filtered by Formal Site Type and (2) filtered by Casual Site Type

2 Replies 2

Sadly, Airtable forms are extremely basic & inelegant, so your workaround of changing the site name to include “formal” or “casual” is probably the best one. That’s because Airtable forms have no ability to see lookup fields, formula fields, rollup fields, and more.

Your only other solutions would be found with external forms. For example, the MiniExtensions.com form supports lookup fields, and so does the combination of JotForm + On2Air Forms.

Hey Jamie,

As Scott mentioned, Airtable forms are great, but they don’t have much advanced functionality.

Our On2Air Forms app can help you with displaying specific fields or options depending on previous selections, display photos, and several other helpful features.

Here’s an example:

You can try it out for free to see if it works for what you need >>>

Feel free to click the chat button once your start getting set up if you have any questions and we can walk you through it.