cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi

I am trying to update Airtable records using Integromat.

I am getting an error:
“The operation failed with an error. Insufficient permissions to create new select options”

I have found out that it has to do with my multi-select option fields in Airtable (when I remove those options the record gets updated.)

I would like to know if there is a workaround or some other solution, so that I don’t have to go back into the Airtable records and manually select all the options. I have over 200 records. I don’t want to have to do this for each record, that defeats the purpose of using an automation app.

Is there a solution?

Thank you,
Mary

26 Replies 26

So if I understand you correctly, Airtable currently has a certain set of options for your multi-select field. Your Integromat scenario is attempting to set something in that field that’s not an existing option, which is leading to this error. Is that correct?

I do lots of stuff with Integromat and Zapier, but haven’t done anything yet involving a multi-select field, so I haven’t encountered this yet. I’ll try to run a test and see what happens.

I get the same thing. Insufficient permissions to add a new entry for a multiple-select. Interesting…

How many new options do you need to create? Is it just one, or are there lots based on the data you’re processing? What is the data exactly?

EDIT: I have a possible workaround, but am waiting for your response to see if it will help, or if we need to look in another direction.

Hi @Justin_Barrett

Thank you for your reply.

Well, at lest it’s not just my scenario that this error is happening too. Thank you for testing it.

I have to select options for 2 fields per record, but I have over 200 records to select options for and it will be on an on going situation. So, it’s not just a one time scenario setup. The two field names are: STAMP FORMAT and KEYWORDS.

I have a share link to a copy of the base that I am testing, so this way you can have a better idea of how my base is setup. My stamp collection is split up into 5 bases, so, this is just one of the bases, that since I am on a free plan and I have over 2,000 records in total and growing.

Hope my explanation is clear.

Thank you,
Mary

Thanks for the update. Here’s a workaround that you might consider. The short version: use link fields instead of multiple select.

The long version: make a new [Stamp Format] table, and delete all of its records. Change the {Stamp Format} field to a link pointing to that table. All of your existing items will be made into new records in that table, and automatically linked. (NOTE: if any items in the multi-select option list aren’t actually selected in any of your stamp records, they won’t get new records made in [Stamp Format], so you may need to make some manually to replace those.)

Revise your Integromat scenario to add an Airtable “Search Records” module that searches that [Stamp Format] table for the format you’re looking to add. Next add a router module with two branches, using filters to control which branch is followed. The filters will be driven by the number of records returned from the search. If no records are found, that branch will make a new record in [Stamp Format], then use the record ID from that module to create a link in the {Stamp Format} field of your main table. If the format is found, you’ll use the existing record ID for that format record to make the link.

Does that make sense?

M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @Justin_Barrett

Thank you for your reply.

I may have found another work around, but I have not tested it yet. In the meantime, I am curious and a like a bit of a good challenge for myself, so I went ahead and created two tables in Airtable, since I have two multi selection fields. I named the two tables: STAMP FORMAT and KEYWORDS. I then linked all the records in each table, according to the field names i.e. STAMP FORMAT selections to STAMP FORMAT table, etc. Although, I did notice that not all the STAMP FORMAT and KEYWORDS selections were not correctly matched to the records, after I linked then. I used the share link to the table in this post, if you want to take a look at the overall table.

I then setup a new scenario (I wanted to keep it separate from the original scenario), but I don’t know if I should do it that way. I, also, didn’t want to mix it up with the original Google Sheet worksheet that has 6 other, different fields. I got stuck when I ran the scenario, I got an error. I am going to attach screenshots. I can send a share link to GS worksheet, just to let you know, by PM/DM.

Thank you, Mary

6AF8386C-476F-4E22-B0F5-97C4F0FCCB07.png 253C55C8-0A65-44FB-B8A8-87FDF0065AB4.png 5E8EDE1E-19AA-49E1-B690-A0A43572D90A.png 70EE54D8-D056-4243-BA4D-149B201484DD.png 50DD4833-1511-4345-A82A-0D6502B7F911.png 3A862C40-7C52-4B78-9234-9BEBBE67E5DB.png 12488718-5904-4ACF-868B-D3E9308DBF52.png

I think your formula in the Airtable module is incorrect. I see a minus sign where there should be an equals sign. You’re trying to look in the {SCOTT#} field for a value that matches what’s coming from the sheet, correct?

M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @Justin_Barrett

I made the change, but I have different fields in the last two Airtable modules, maybe that’s why I am still getting the same error?

Did I setup the Airtable tables correctly?

Mary

The tables look good from what I can see, and the later steps updating different fields wouldn’t have any bearing on why that first step is failing. Perhaps it’s because of the “#” in the Airtable field name? You might try removing it—perhaps rename the field to {SCOTT NUM}, then change the Integromat scenario accordingly and see if it still throws an error.

Hi @Justin_Barrett

So, even though, there are different field names (no SCOTT field name) in the the last two Airtable modules, in the scenario, that should not matter?

Mary