221 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neal_Miller1
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I need external parties to update existing records. I have successfully created a second base that serves as the receiver of the updated fields. I accomplished that by creating a form in the second base and using the URL from the form to create a formula field in the first base that will pass a record identifier to the second base. The URL works well and the record identifier from the first base shows up in the new record (RequestID) in the second base to match the record being updated from the first base. 

My problem seems to be with the automation. I am using when the form, from the second base, is submitted to trigger the automation. I then added update record to the automation. Based on a video covering the topic by Julian Post, I list the second table called New Update as the Table in the configuration. I list RequestID from the second table as the Record ID. For testing purposes, I add just one field in the Field section. I set it to dynamic and map the corresponding field with the same name and parameters. (I started by duplicating the first base, so I know the fields are exactly the same.)

When I test the automation, I get "Received invalid inputs". Data exists in the second table and the Input data listed at the bottom of the automation page shows correct information to be replicated to the first base.  I have read articles and watched a few videos yet I remain stumped. Any guidance someone can provide would be appreciated. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the link!  I can see you're experimenting with the Find Record action and you're actually really close!   You just need to change the table you're updating to be "New" instead of "New Update" and update the "Record ID" to look like this:

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 11.08.49 PM.png

To do that, select it here:

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 11.05.24 PM.png

Should do what you need

I've also set it up here for you to try out

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

It's difficult to help you with this without seeing the base itself I'm afraid, so if you could provide a read-only invite link to a duplicated copy of your base with some example data or no data in it that would be very helpful.  You mention "a second base" as well and I'm not sure how that fits in to this, could I confirm you're using a single base?

There are two tables, not two bases. I apologize for the incorrect representation. 

I duplicated the table and here is the read-only link: https://airtable.com/invite/l?inviteId=invPcbDftm9VESKZ0&inviteToken=5d3be55394198139e868c83d0a6f6c7...

The data in the table is just for testing purposes. 

Thank you for your assistance. 

Thanks for the link!  I can see you're experimenting with the Find Record action and you're actually really close!   You just need to change the table you're updating to be "New" instead of "New Update" and update the "Record ID" to look like this:

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 11.08.49 PM.png

To do that, select it here:

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 11.05.24 PM.png

Should do what you need

I've also set it up here for you to try out

Thank you for your input. It was very helpful. My solution was to update the formula in base one that called up form from base two and replicated the Airtable Record ID in a field in base two. The update automation then worked. Now that I have that fixed the hard work of creating the workflow with all the possible variations. Looking forward to the challenge. 

Thank you again.