cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bridget_Ruiz
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello,
We use Airtable for confidential information.

• Is there a way to lock a view so that not only can our team not change the filter settings, but also not be able to duplicate the view?

• Also, is there a way to create a personal view, but for a group of people?

• Is there a way to keep people out of certain locked views?

• Something else that would be helpful is being able to customize the permissions of each user for each view. For example, I would like users to have editor permissions for Views A, B, and C but Read only permissions for Views D, E, and F. I know this can be solved by creating different bases, but because we can not link bases, copying and pasting records from one base to the other would allow the possibility of clients falling through the cracks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Great question. That is one of the most common requests for Airtable, but unfortunately, that is not a part of the product, either. :frowning: There is no way to natively get 2 tables to communicate in Airtable. :frowning:

However, you could automate a solution that would work for you by creating an automation with Integromat. Integromat is a platform which could let you check for new or updated records in one table, and then add or update those records in another table.

If this is your first time customizing Integromat, it can be a little daunting at first. And even if you’re used to it, it could take quite a bit of time to setup your automations. If you need personalized help setting this up, please feel free to send me a private message, as this is one of the many things that my Airtable consulting company does for businesses. :slightly_smiling_face:

There are also many other Integromat experts in this community as well — I am not the only one. :slightly_smiling_face:

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

Welcome to the community, @Bridget_Ruiz! :slightly_smiling_face:

Unless you have 100% of your collaborators use a tool like Stacker, there is no security built into the Airtable interface itself.

You CAN create a “share link” for a specific view, if you’d like, which would give people a “read-only“ web page for that view.

But, once you’re using the Airtable interface itself, you’re out of luck. Here’s what happens, once you use the Airtable interface itself:

All collaborators — even read-only collaborators — can view 100% of the data in your entire Airtable base, and worst of all, they can instantly duplicate your entire table for their own personal usage with one click of a mouse button. (And there are 3 different ways for them to do so.)

Instant data theft of your entire base, even for read-only collaborators. So, you would need to decide if it is worth this major security risk to use Airtable in your organization. Can you trust the people who have collaborator access to your Airtable base?

The only other real option is to have all of your collaborators interact with your Airtable through Stacker instead of through the Airtable interface. Everything that you want can be done with Stacker.

p.s. Hope this helps! If this answers your question, could you please mark my comment above as the solution to your question? This will help other people who have a similar question. If not, please let me know what else you need help with! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you, this does help us understand. While Airtable is a useful collaborative and communicative tool, it has no security. Would you happen to know if there is a way to have one base feed two or more separate bases without having to copy and paste each record? I think this would help because then we could grant access to certain bases to specific team members.

Great question. That is one of the most common requests for Airtable, but unfortunately, that is not a part of the product, either. :frowning: There is no way to natively get 2 tables to communicate in Airtable. :frowning:

However, you could automate a solution that would work for you by creating an automation with Integromat. Integromat is a platform which could let you check for new or updated records in one table, and then add or update those records in another table.

If this is your first time customizing Integromat, it can be a little daunting at first. And even if you’re used to it, it could take quite a bit of time to setup your automations. If you need personalized help setting this up, please feel free to send me a private message, as this is one of the many things that my Airtable consulting company does for businesses. :slightly_smiling_face:

There are also many other Integromat experts in this community as well — I am not the only one. :slightly_smiling_face: