Help

Re: Why is reciprocal self-links a pro feature?

338 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Nordin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We’ve been asking for this feature for a very long time. To me, and I think to many, a hierarchical link type is a very fundamental feature for a database. And respectfully, making an auto-populating same-table link for hierarchies a pro feature, that doesn’t actually auto-populate the field, is a very frustrating move.

Intersecting relationship tables works, but it’s still very manual and doubles or triples the data entry work.

Really, honestly, all I want is an auto-populating reciprocal self-link field. A hierarchical view is really nice, but it doesn’t actually change the data entry requirements anyway. I want a way to accomplish this without a pro subscription, and without multiple data entries for a single relationship. Is there a way to accomplish this that anyone has found?

I really love the way AT has handled their community and development; I love the software, and I use it for everything. One thing that I love most about it is how it (from my experience) seems to be developed in a way that Pro features are legitimately something only a professional would need. No fundamental features are gated behind a paywall, it’s legitimately a functionally free-for-personal-use program, which is really rare in the software world right now. …at least, until blocks came out.

I would like to ask, kindly, if frustratedly, for (a) a transparent explanation as to why this is considered a pro feature; and (b) for a good, one-step-entry workaround to the problem, because I haven’t been able to find one. At the least, I’m here to lodge my official displeasure. …whatever that’s worth.

Thoughts?

1 Reply 1

Respectfully, having records that automatically link to one another in the same table is not a Pro-only feature. Unfortunately, this feature has not yet been built for anyone, Pro, free, or otherwise. As such, I’m going to close this thread.

If you would like to discuss this feature further, please do so in this topic: Self-linking tables (and lookup/rollup/count fields)