cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kate_Aldworth
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

Is there any way of wrapping the text in the header fields so that I don’t have to have such a wide column to fit the header in? In the example above I want to be able to see “Genre” rather than “Ge…” and “Proofer 1” instead of “Pro…”

Thanks in advance!

Kate

61 Replies 61

Why is “Type indicator” even necessary except during the table design stage? There should be a control to toggle it off. It takes up way too much valuable (and limited) column header space.

I think it’s very useful:

• tells you if the data comes from from other table
  • tells you the format (number vs text, long text vs rich text…)
  • tells you if the value is manually entered or if it’s calculated or pulled (text vs formula vs lookup).

Maybe an option in the field setup to hide it would be a great solution (or at table/base/user level).

And of course to be able to wrap columns would be the best solution.

Smote

Please please please make this a feature. I have data that’s basically a Yes/No or a single digit and the column does not need to be the whole length of the multi-word header. I can do this in literally every other program, how has Airtable not implemented this yet!?

Doug_Lesavoy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there an answer to this yet? If not, +1.

Brian_Lance
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 on this :nerd_face: :sparkles: :nerd_face: :sparkles: :nerd_face: :sparkles: :nerd_face: :sparkles: :nerd_face: :sparkles: :nerd_face: :sparkles: :nerd_face: :sparkles: :nerd_face: :sparkles: :nerd_face: :sparkles: :nerd_face: :sparkles:

Timmy_Corini
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

how is this still not an option!!! sheesh c’mon man!

Christina_Piazz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

July 2022 and still not an option?

Joseph_Turley
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Another vote to PLEASE add this. It is such a simple feature that would provide a lot of usability to the app.

Pete_Lindley

Come on Airtable, Wrap the Header TEXT PLEASE!!! It’s only been on the “To Do List” for 6 years!
provide an option to remove the header type when creating / formatting the column. When hovering the type and description is then displayed.

EAL_LRES
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is Airtable incompetent or lazy? Surely Microsoft does not have a patent on text wrapping in headers, even if the creative folks at Airtable need to call it something else for copyright reasons. How about Super-duper visible headers that don’t take up miles of column width? No, even Airtable can do better than that, I think.

Six years?? REALLY? This makes me worry that the company might dry up and blow away. Guess its time for my lab to switch to a free open-source db and workflow.

Lol, why do you assume it’s one or the other? These are not mutually exclusive. :joy:

jennytea
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

As a new user, this is a major block. I am used to looking at very compact tables without needing to hover or scroll to digest the information. 

LauraC

Please please please add text wrap options to all areas of the layout, especially in the headers. In fact, just copy Excel or Google Sheets! All of the standard formatting options on the main header bar of Google sheets need to be standard options in an airtable base as well. That includes text wrap. 

Kredon
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 on wrapping header text

Alice_Linell

+1 for wrapping headers and fields

lauren
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is super SUPER annoying that this is not available. Especially for columns containing numbers, where you really don't want to take up a ton of unnecessary space, but are forced to because the column heads don't wrap. Anyway... you can install the Stylus Chrome Extension and then in the CSS box put in this code... and it will cause the text to be smaller and the text to wrap. It looks kind of dumb. But it works. 

-moz-document domain("airtable.com") {
.text-size-default { font-size:9px; }
.headerRow .cell.read .contentWrapper .nameAndDescription { right:0; top:3px; }
.nameAndDescription .truncate { max-width:100%; overflow:visible; overflow-wrap:break-word; text-overflow:default; white-space:normal; }
}

Raoul
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I can't believe this hasn't been implemented when users have been asking for this minor tweak for years. Lauren even showed the developers how to do it in a browser. How much work could it be to tweak the app interface a bit?

Samantha_Blake
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

please please please add this feature!! it is so basic, but would really help us all out.

tbradley22

+1 I have about 20 fields (columns), each with 5 descriptors in the field name, and I need to be able to fill these out for lots of rows. Reading the header row at a glance is critical, otherwise I literally can't complete my job in a timely manner. Expanding the column width is a poor option because my data density goes way down and required a bunch of horizontal scrolling. I really need to be able to wrap the text in the header row so it can show multiple lines of text. See attached. Thanks

Not helpful, in the least.