1205 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert_Andrews
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’m going to presume the answer is “no”, but is there really no way to wrap the text (esp title text) of a card when presented in kanban or gallery view?

Has anyone found the CSS rules that can be changed in Developer Tools, perhaps?

7 Replies 7
Robert_Andrews
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

The relevant CSS class is .truncate, which is applied to card title links…

.truncate {
    max-width: 100%;
    overflow: hidden;
    overflow-x: hidden;
    overflow-y: hidden;
    text-overflow: ellipsis;
    white-space: nowrap;
}

If white-space were disabled or set to normal, truncation would be disabled and card titles would wrap.

Although they would appear a little untidily due to lack of vertical padding.

Harald
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Airtable team, I hope you are aware that the Kanban view is basically unusable without better handling of the card title. I think there is a 23 character cut off. That's is not a good solution. Please look at any other tool on the market that uses cards. Wrap the text, shrink the font and add more character count, etc. Anything. PLEASE!

WouterJ
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Agreed. I also currently have the impression the Kanban board only "looks" like a kanban board, but isn't actually functional as one in any kind of task/project management. Mainly due to the 23 character cutoff. It gives the impression that it's designed more as a tool to categorize items or people with short-ish names, for which I guess this UX would work. The short titles really break the functionality, causing me to use table view, Notion, or Trello for task tracking.

DavidW
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hey everyone, we've now rolled out the ability to wrap these text values in Kanban Interfaces and views. See the images below to get started. I don't have an update on Gallery support at this time, but please do keep letting us know how important these features are to your workflows.

Enabling text wrapping in Kanban in an interface:

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 11.35.18 AM.png

Enabling text wrapping in a Kanban View:

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 11.34.22 AM.png

  

Sam_Hancock
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Totally agree. I’m new to Airtable,  and think this might be a deal breaker for me as it completely inhibits the use of it being a take manager at the most basic (mobile) level. 

Totally agree with this. I’m maybe having to leave Airtable because of this. Which would be infuriating having fallen in love with the general database functionality and spent a week moving all my data over. 

Hi David, thanks for this but I notice that the wrapping setting isn’t available on the iOS mobile app?? This seems bizarre to me as a mobile interface is arguably where it’s needed most. I’m new here and love so much of what I’m discovering with Airtable but these basis omissions are so bizarre to (also no dark mode, no snap to column horizontal scrolling in mobile OS app kanban view etc…) and so many more UI things that in 2024 should by now just be default, surely?