Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Ability to create calculated metrics in Interfaces

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Joel_Lee
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

First, let me start off by saying how incredibly important this feature is. The data so many organizations could have by being able to create custom calculated metrics in Interfaces is untellable.

When creating big numbers (like the Numbers widget in an Interface), you are tired to a specific field, then you must select an operator. For example, you tie that Number widget to a field in one of your tables, for example, โ€œRevenue,โ€ then select โ€œSumโ€ and it gives you the total. Letโ€™s say you did that same thing for โ€œProfit.โ€

Then, with those two metrics, there is no way to create a third one based off those that calculates, for example, something like: Profit / Revenue (displayed as a percentage (Margin)).

The problem is that the only workaround to achieve the above (something that is a basic feature in, for example, Google Data Studio), is to build in the Profit, Revenue, and Margin fields at the table level which can fail to work if you are dealing with a metric for which there is no workable operator. For example, you cannot use โ€œSumโ€ in the settings of a Number widget in an Interface in order to sum up all the โ€œMarginโ€ values in your table. That doesnโ€™t make sense.

Long story short, I would love if, in Interfaces, you could calculate your own metrics. The flexibility this would provide would help people who are using Interfaces for basic financial or other number-based widgets, and could give them the insights they need (like the organization I work for!).

43 Comments
Javier_Growth_L
5 - Automation Enthusiast

+1 to this feature of calculated fields in interfaces ๐Ÿ‘

I've hit the same roadblock when building a summary dashboard for a client. It's a pity that we have to be dependent on third party BI tools like Looker, Tableau or Retool for more complex data visualization. 

simmonkc

+1 to this. Running into this same road block.

cmilliard
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

More generally being able to do math operations from values across multiple records would be very helpful. for example
remaining items= {Inventory}-sum({Sold items}) where {Sold Items} is a count within each record and each count then the whole column can be added in the formula

faceboy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this feature, I too just want to subtract one rollup total from another (two different tables) in an interface.

Calvin_Young2
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This is a huge missing feature for my team.  

We have a few large numbers displayed on a dashboard, and would like to calculate percentages etc. based off those numbers which are driven by filters in the interface.

There are very hacky workarounds with significant compromises, but this feels like a basic feature that many users would benefit from.

lydiafine3
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

If I could +1,000 this idea, I would. I need to make basic mathematical calculations off of number fields that I can't do with formula fields because I need to calculate in Aggregate. 

My use cases are typically about percentages. Of all the proposals sent in 2023, how many projects were won, and what's my win percentage? I'd also like to figure an aggregate profit margin. Total revenue - total expenses divided by total revenue = % margin. 

I need these features soooooooooooo much. I'm currently exporting into a Google sheet to get them. ๐Ÿ˜ž 

MarioTarouca
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1

xavierjackson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I was googling HOW to do calculations in interfaces and was lead here...

How can this not be a thing? I mean.. do I go back to an excel spreadsheet then?

ArtImage
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is an essential feature, please add ASAP

Sophie_BELLEGO

real dashbord and following KPIs in interface is wonderfull....but can't be done as it should because of this missing features : let me create calculation formula in interface based on my reccords !!!! Please !!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฐ