Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Add EMPTY as a Selection in "Is Any Of" Filter

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goce_Ristov
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Currently when you select the “Is Any Of” filter you are not able to filter by the fields that are empty. For example, if I have a single select column called status with values: “To Do”, “Doing”, “Done”. Then I want to show only records with “To Do”, “Doing” and Empty. I cannot do it. I have to choose whether I want to show only empty or anything with value in it.

So if you can just add the option EMPTY in the filters “Is any of” or “is none of” it would be great!

5 Comments
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

While I can understand your desire to have everything in a single filter choice, this can be done by adding a second filter criteria to include empty fields:

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.18.07 PM.png

Goce_Ristov
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Justin_Barrett The reason for this request is not desire for more comfort. I can see that it can easily be solved with an OR filter. But what about cases where you have a couple of AND filters set in place already and you cannot use the OR filter after them?

I just gave this simple example in my original post so I can explain the feature request. But the use case scenario is a lot more complicated. There are many cases which lack the empty filter used in combination with “is any of”.

Beside being a convenience it’s also very logical to include the empty value next to other values in the same filter as a selection. Even though it is empty, it is a type of value that can exist in a given column.

Misha_Varshavsk
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Mid '21 and it appears this still hasn’t been considered? “Empty” should be a system option for any select-type fields. Given that airtable doesn’t support nested filtering expressions this is especially limiting.

Christen_Costa
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Agreed. This should totally exist especially since their “or” filter function isn’t allowed after an “and”.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Not sure why this didn’t occur to me when I posted 2+ years ago, but there is another way around this issue: reverse the logic and use a single element with “is none of” and all of the options that you don’t want.

Here’s an example. I have three options: “Todo”, “Doing”, and “Done”. If I set the filter to “is none of” and “Done” as the only choice, that means that it will leave any records where that field is either empty or contains any of the remaining choices.

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 3.41.24 PM