Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Add new linked record when entering data in a form

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Robbins
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

One of my fields is a link to another table. I’d like end-users who are using the Form to add data to be able to create new records in the linked table but from the primary table data entry form.

139 Comments
Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi Justine! Currently it’s only possible to select a record that already exists in shared forms, not to add a new linked record.

We plan on making feature improvements to form view in the coming months. If you can tell us more about how you’d like to use forms, that would be helpful for our planning process!

Andre_Zijlstra
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

@Matt_Bush
Could it be that Airtable fixed this issue of selecting a record in a linked field by using a form? I remember that I wasn’t able to do so! If that is fixed, that would be awesome.

Jessica_McCanse
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Any update on whether this may be coming as a feature? I’m still building my first base and this would be incredibly helpful.

Garrett_HUssey

+1 Only having the option to choose from existing records is a let down.

Jason_Yellery
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This missing feature is keeping me from really using Airtable for a project.
Use Case:
Hierarchical grids ( or Nested grids, or Parent/Child grids ),
Ex. Location grid, Container grid, Object grid
Objects are in Containers, Containers are in Locations
On Location Form I would like to select a Container that belongs to that Location or add a new Container that becomes linked to that location, In that Container I would like to add Objects that are available to that Location by being linked to the Location and I would like to be able to add new Objects that would become linked to that Container and Location.

Maybe allow selected fields from a child grid to be a form input in a parent from, dropdown of child name allows children of current parent to be selected or fill the fields to create a new child that is linked to the parent.

Is there currently a way to do this that I am missing?

Jeff_Hodges1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 Could really use this feature!

Andrew_Jacobs
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Having looked at Cognito Forms and the solution offered, it’s not going to solve my issue unfortunately.

I have a library of sheet music, and when a new arrangement is added, I want to be able to select the arranger from a large list of arrangers (stored separately in a different table).

However, if the arranger hasn’t already been entered into the linked table, then there is no facility to add them in - see screenshot A:
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 10.25.25 pm.png

Using Cognito won’t work because:
a. It only runs on form submission, not during entry
b. It doesn’t first pull in existing records from the linked table in Airtable, so there’s no way to search through the existing records before choosing to add a new one.

In grid view, there is no problem with adding a new linked record (see screenshot B), but then you have the issue of a very unfriendly GUI:
45%20pm

Here’s a post for the same request, where Airtable said they are looking at forms - would be worthwhile adding your voice to this post as they are watching it…
https://community.airtable.com/t/adding-an-option-on-a-form-when-the-field-linked-to-another-record/...

Andrew_Jacobs
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi @Matt_Bush

Justine didn’t reply with more info, but I have the exact same issue and I thought I would add my voice as this is something that I sorely need. Here’s how we are planning on using forms:

I have a workspace where one of the tables has approx 1000 records - these records are musical arrangements (sheet music) for my choir.
The idea is that as our staff want to add to our repertoire, they will use the form to add a new arrangement to the table. One of the fields in the form is “arranger” - another is “composer” and a third is “lyricist”. All three fields are linked back to a separate table consisting of a huge list of artists (a composer can also be a lyricist for example, so they all share the same table).

As the staff member enters the details on the piece, they should not only be able to select an existing composer/lyricists/arranger, but given the option to add a new one. Right now, this isn’t possible - they can only select an existing one, and this is a major limitation in using the form. In the majority of cases, the composer/lyricist/arranger won’t already exist in the linked table, so in the majority of cases, the form to add a new piece of music is unusable.

To make sure I’m being 100% clear, here are a couple of screens comparing the lookup field view in a form vs in a grid:
45%20pm
25%20pm

After entering nearly 1000 records in my main table in preparation for end-user use, I am devastated to find that this functionality is missing at the 11th hour. I should have tested it earlier I guess, but for now it means that I’ll have to continue to enter the data myself :worried:

Is there any update on when we can expect word back on the form view improvements you mentioned? Many thanks!

Dave_Hilliard
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi is there any update on this feature being added to forms, I could really use it or a workaround if there is one.

Bron_Daube
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Would love to know if this feature is likely to become available and if so when?