Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

An option to require Unique Values for any given field

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matthew_Billiod
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am glad each table in a base has one key column that must be unique (needed for relational databases), but instead of making this uniqueness requirement only available to the key column, please make this setting available to other fields also.

Some discussion on this topic has already been made (see Unique values in a column), but was listed under “Support” instead of “feature request”.

56 Comments
Matthew_Billiod
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

By the way, as a temporary workaround, I created another table wherein the “key column” contained the values I wanted to be unique, and linked my second column to the original table’s key values.

Hashim_Warren
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

The name column doesn’t have to be unique. Try it and see :slightly_smiling_face:

Matthew_Billiod
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello Hashim, thank you for your reply.

I would like the option to make the name column unique even when it is not in the key field column. Do you know of a way to enforce a policy that only allows unique values in fields that are not the key column?

Thanks in advance!

Gokul_Kumar
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

any workaround/ update on this?

Matthew_Billiod
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

No workaround from my perspective. I just live with the fact that I will have to comb thru the table. Not sure why people are not concerned about this, and why more people have not run into this issue.

Gokul_Kumar
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It is absolutely essential for many aspects, hope someone will address this

Graham_Morley
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I’d also agree that having a ‘value must be unique’ as an option on most (if not all) field types would be a valuable feature.

Even if this was only implemented on the ‘Key’ field in the first instance, then that would be a huge bonus.

If others come across this Feature Request, please add your comments or support, so that it can be prioritised accordingly.

Thanks.

Ever_Photo_Shoo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello,
Have anyone any news on this feature?

Forcing a field to be ‘unique’ is great for safety reasons in many of our use cases.

All the best,
EverPhotoShoot

Goce_Ristov
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Exactly this! Unique values are a must! Otherwise duplicates can be easily added without control. I recently had a case where duplicate data was added and had to manually merge them field by field, it was really unpleasant experience.

I really hope an option for unique values on all field types will be added soon.

Larry_Price
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Forcing Unique values would be great for all of my bases. If I were the only one adding entries, I could manage this myself, but I have a lot of people collaborating on my bases.