Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Autogenerate QR code of record URL

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eric_McFetridge
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Every record has a unique URL. It seems so obvious to me that there should be a field type that is a QR generator simply for the URL to that record.

My goal is to label physical items with a QR code so I can use a smartphone to scan the QR code and have the Airtable app open directly to the correct record so it can be viewed/updated. I can copy the record URL and generate a QR code and this works perfectly, but I’m not going to do that for every record. Seems like it should be an available feature.

There are so many work-arounds for creating QR codes but why not have unique record URL be an automatic QR code like so many other solutions out there…?

3 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, it would be nice if that was built into Airtable. In the meantime, @Moe at MiniExtensions has created a few QR Code extensions to help out with this:

https://miniextensions.com/category/barcode-qr-code/

And this one in particular might be helpful to you:

Avana_Vana
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

What Airtable needs is a formula function like QR() that outputs a QR code encoding whatever you want.

For example, Formula: QR({URL Field} + “/some-added-string”), returns a QR code that encodes a URL with an added “/some-added-string” directory to the end of it, and another example would be QR(“https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=” + {Latitude Field} + “,” + {Longitude Field}), which would return a QR code encoding a google maps URL that is centered on a specific latitude and longitude stored as separate columns in the same row. That’d be amazing!

Even better would be to just allow users to choose “QR code” as a formatting option in the “Formula” field type, so a user can write any formula they want, or just output a simple field, and then whatever that formula returns would be encoded as a QR code.

Rebecca_Elam
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Goqrme has an api you might be able to call