Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Can we get a list of field definitions of a table?

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Y_K
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I can get a list of field names by downloading the CSV and look at the header line. But is there a way to get a list of field definitions (field type, formula details?)

12 Comments
Chester_McLaugh
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

This is the best Iโ€™ve been able to muster:

Hellene_Gronda
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Echoing this feature request for a way to export the list of fields and their field types, including formula or other specifications. Really helpful for generating a data dictionary and user guide.

R_Felciano_QIAG
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We would love to see this as well

Melissa_Frank1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yes, please!! We need to share a data dictionary with folks not using the bases, and keeping them updated has been very difficult and messy. If we could simply export that from Airtable, that would ensure all revisions are captured.

Ryan1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 We would benefit from being able to extract the metadata about our bases so we can annotate it.

Brilliant_Admin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Any word from Airtable on this? Field definitions are SUPER critical. I can get it via code for now but this (and re-ordering) fields should be pretty basic.

Facundo_Sanchez

Yes please. Very needed

aaron_altamura
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 Incredible this isnโ€™t available. In order to fine, having to manually edit the names to include field types and then run regex :frowning:

itoldusoandso
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Itโ€™s going to be 3 years soon and still nothing. Looks like not a priority for Airtable. I understand they want to keep users in the system โ€ฆbut there are plenty of other reasons I should be able to export list of fieldsโ€ฆ e.g. training of other users or perhaps simply design of the base. Being able to see all fields and reorganize them perhaps on paper would be rather useful than tossing the fields around by dragging and dropping them in the drop down interface of hidden field which can get sluggish on slower machines and internet connections.

Post-edit:
Another reason we need export fields + formulas is to look for formulas that are broken. Example: I frequently use SWITCH or IF functions where the formula tests if a field value equals โ€œsomethingโ€. However, I often change the content of that field, so the formula no longer works e.g. the value is going to be โ€œsomebodyโ€. Now the IF and SWITCH formulas testing a field against this value no longer work. The issue is when the condition is tested in more than one formula. If there several formulas on different places, they are all broken without even knowing it.

If I was able to export the formulas, I would be able to quickly find all formulas in table and the entire base and fix them. I know Base Schema app is there but it can be a hairball.

Sembra_Media
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yep, here also. It would be great to export the list of fields and their field types, including formula or other specifications. Really helpful for team training!