Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Change colors on linked records

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vincent_Tang
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I can’t seem to figure this out. Normally on “multiple select” or “Single select” options, changing colors is fairly easy

however with linked tables, the colors are always blue. Cannot find any options to change it

I found this support thread here, but it wasn’t answered either

is this a supported feature?

Reference:

c7cd1105cd6d43bb25e99b75ae77c179510fcdd1.png

67 Comments
Bram_Meulen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It’s also possible to use emoji’s to make a difference:

Kailyn_Nelson
5 - Automation Enthusiast

@Bram_Meulen This is a clever workaround! Thanks for sharing.

Jessica_Pena
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

This would be very helpful and seems like it should be the intuitive representation of linked records - we can choose colors for single/multi-selects, we can assign colors to records based on a condition– and then none of that helpful, color-coded info gets carried over into another table through linked records.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Thread necro!

I too have been wanting this feature for years and years. Since learning about automation, we can at least employ a workaround to this limitation. In my example, I have a colour field in the lookup table, and the same colour field re-created in the entries table. The automation then does a check between the two tables and keeps the entry colour in line with the entry lookup colour.

Note how you’ll need to check colours are set up correct, my blue and green are different. :upside_down_face:

It’s a bit of a pain having to duplicate fields in each table, but works well enough.

Jsupason_Napasa
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

voted! this feature is urgent lol

CJB

Any update on this? Would love the ability to color the linked records.

E-Claim

+1000000000000000 It’s been requested for four years. PLEASE!

Zoro_Wu
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Sometime it is very difficult to understand what the product managers are doing when such simple but useful product requests are ignored forever. But I’ve seen in many startups that the communication channel between VOM(voice of member) and Product(PMs who prioritize features) does not exist at all. And VOMs, here probably the community leads attempt to mitigate user report by using suboptimal workarounds as suggestions without figuring out a real way to get the simple feature added.

Kailyn_Nelson

I would caution with saying “simple” because we don’t know the challenges the team faces, but in general, yes, celebrating workarounds is not equivalent to providing a new, dedicated solution to the problem.

Matt_Belleville
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

For those still looking to add some color to your linked records, this is possible using the lookup field.

Step 1: Create a single select field on the main table you are linking to (for example: Article Topics). The best way to do this might be to duplicate the “Name” field, change it to Single Select, then change your “Name” field to a formula that pulls from the Single Select. (Make sure your single select has colored options turned on.)

Just to clarify, your Single Select field and your record’s primary field might be the same, but the Single Select field will have colors associated with it.

Step 2: Go to the secondary table that is pulling from your main table (for example: Calendar - which lists all your dates and links back to the topic that is being covered that day). Create a lookup field that pulls the Single Select field from the Main table. That lookup field will pull through the formatting of the Single Select.

Again, you may have a field with duplicate content (the Single Select has the same information as the linked record’s name), however the Single Select field will contain colors.

Note: For formatting calendars, the lookup field’s colors won’t be recognized, However, you’ll find it is easier to set up conditional formatting using the lookup field (since it is recognized as a single select field).

I hope this is helpful!