Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Change colors on linked records

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vincent_Tang
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I can’t seem to figure this out. Normally on “multiple select” or “Single select” options, changing colors is fairly easy

however with linked tables, the colors are always blue. Cannot find any options to change it

I found this support thread here, but it wasn’t answered either

is this a supported feature?

Reference:

c7cd1105cd6d43bb25e99b75ae77c179510fcdd1.png

67 Comments
Dave_Thorne
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Elias_Gomez_Sainz1h
Afaik, you can’t create a Lookup on Suppliers table to get ONLY the unpaid Invoices. How have you done that?

To show only the unpaid I created a new column “Unpaid Invoices” in the Invoice Table which uses a formula to see if the paid date field is blank, if it is then it returns the invoice number. I then created a column in the Supplier Table set to Lookup, linked via the column in the Suppliers Table (which is linked to the Invoice Table) that has all of the Invoices and selected the Unpaid Invoices field in the Invoice Table. This returns only those invoices that are unpaid.

Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Oh yes, of course. Creating extra fields all is possible (I didn’t know about a paid field :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ).

And, what about the demo base?

Dave_Thorne

I would have liked to not have to create the additional field but at the moment that seems to be the way for me to do it. The Table you shared has given me some new ideas, thanks

Ariel_Gross

+1 on being able to add colors to linked records.

Bart_De_Smedt
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Have the labels adopt the color of the linked record should be a good first step!

Ben_Johnson1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m wondering if it’s possible to use a formula to connect each option in a single select field type to its matching field in a “link to another record” field.

Basically, we use Airtable for managing tasks across clients, and we now have three tables. One is tasks, one is a library of work we’ve completed for clients, and the last is the clients themselves. Originally we made a linked column in the tasks table that associates tasks with each client so that we could click on a client name and see all linked work from the library and all tasks across assignees, and any information for that client from the account table But! Airtable doesn’t let you color linked table fields. So everything is blue – we tried to use emojis to differentiate, but it’s not enough.

I’m wondering, is it possible to use a formula to connect single field types (one for each account) with their matching account (from a linked table column) that way we can use the colors of single field selects, but behind the scenes, it’s still linking the tasks to relevant accounts.

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

There’s no way to use select options as a linked record; however, depending on your application (and, frankly, it sounds as if this won’t apply to yours) it is sometimes possible to mirror the values of a linked-record field with a single select. You can then use the single select for such things as kan ban grouping, color selection in several of the Blocks, or simply to give visual cues to a grid view.

I made use of this technique in my Black Mirror and SF Tenant Buyout bases, converting linked record fields and data fields with recurring values to single selects. Typically I did this by duplicating the field I wished to convert, changing the field configuration of the duplicate field to single select, and tweaking colors as needed.

For example, in the actual working guts of the base, the code that calculates average score and ranking for Black Mirror episodes is driven by nineteen linked records per reviewing publication. The visualizations, though, take their cues from the conversion of linked records to single selects:
black_mirror_screenshot

All the usual caveats apply: Since the single select is not tied to the originating field, changes to one are not reflected in the other. It’s very easy to find yourself working with two discrete, divergent data sets — sometimes with no idea which is the accurate one. And, of course, this mirroring is valuable only for certain bases and situations, of which yours is probably not one.

Manager_DGP

I vote for it too :winking_face: . any further movement on this?

Manager_DGP

how do you use emojis in your linked records title?

Manager_DGP

@Vincent_Tang how do you use unicode symbols?