Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Changing Displayed Field in Calendar View and/or Display Value of Field

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarah_Cliff
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Continuing the discussion from Changing Displayed Field in Calendar View:

Just wanted to cross post this in the correct forum since it’s not a feature I couldn’t find but a feature that doesn’t exist yet.

It would be nice if we could change the display field of a table to be something other than the primary key field.

Thanks!

64 Comments
Eric_Chagnon
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree, this is an important feature that should be added. I would use it immediatly.

Justin_Fisher
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Have there been any updates on this? Can someone from Airtable confirm if this development is in the pipeline. Surely the functionality available in the Grid View and the Card View can be implemented here?

Dave_Draftsman

We’re using the Airtable Calendar via our Pro account, and would definitely welcome more development on the Calendar Item detail to show what-ever-field it is that we desire. Currently, by default and with no way to configure, we can only see the date field - which is extremely pointless because that’s what we already see from the calendar view itself, and so we then have to click “expand” record and only then can we sift through all the fields, often too many to see the info we’re after.

We just want to be able to click the calendar item to see a couple of desirable key fields (in our case it’s a “Work Shift Confirmed” tickbox), without having to click “expand record”.

Please please please Airtable devs, give this some love!

JORGE_BENEITEZ

+1 to this. It would be extremely handy for us too!

We are building a timesheet system for employees and freelancers, and we would like to show in the public calendar view, not only the date, but the Name of the person that logged the hours and the number of hours logged. Although this could be achieved, I believe, using the formula field, I can think of many other situations where this workaround can be very cumbersome!

Thank you Airtable for this amazing product and will be great if we could get some feedback on this feature, even if it’s a negative one.

Ihsan_Zainal
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi everyone!

It’s actually very easy to use a formula as your primary field. You can still have unique IDs for each entry but have a custom title in the primary field using the CONCATENATE formula :slightly_smiling_face:

For example here is my formula in my Primary field:
CONCATENATE(Series&" Episode #0"&Ep&" ("&Stage&")")

This formula gives me something like this:
Happy Days Episode #05 (RELEASED)

What this does is take any data from different fields (in this case the fields Series, Ep and Stage) and puts them together into one line of text using & as a seperator. Then I can add fixed text (or a space in between each field) using " " to define the sentence better.

Now I have a very clear title displayed in my calendar while still having unique data for each row and whenever the Stage field updates, it’s reflected in my calendar.

Here’s more information from the AirTable wiki on CONCATENATE:

Sebastien_Long
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Fours years on how have Airtable not fixed this… It’s basically just asking for the same functionality developed for the Gallery View, whereby you can configure the info that’s displayed on the card, adding or removing any of the fields you want…

Paul_Johnson1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This seems like basic, but important functionality that should be added ASAP.

Wes_Pelletier
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yeah it’s unreal this isn’t built in. My usecase is I’m having people sign up for shifts. I have to have each of the shifts named with, obviously, their date and time. When someone signs up for one of the three slots in a shift, they get added to the People tab. I need the People’s names, not the shift names, to show up in the calendar view.

Chris_Davey
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Well I was about to buy a year subscription to AirTable for the whole of my team, I’ve been experimenting for a few days with AirTable, this calendar view is great, but not having this ability and the lack of response from AirTable in 4 years to this thread tells me they don’t care, do you care AirTable?

Janoshe
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 to this!
This feature would really help us to show our booked equipment for different projects in one calendar view!