Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Clean URLs

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsmith-pivotbio
5 - Automation Enthusiast

It would be nice to optionally enable Clean URLs for Airtable pages. Currently, Airtable urls are basically a random string of characters that give no information on what is at the url. So if I shared an Airtable link with someone, instead of seeing something like https://airtable.com/appdfvokijweroiwdroikj/tbldfvolkfgvlmkvblk/viweiociokjwefn and have no information on what they are about to click on, it would be something like https://mycompany.airtable.com/my-awesome-base/my-great-table/grid-view

3 Comments
Sistema_Aotearo
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Would be very handy to have!

A workaround if you have a website for your organisation. You could set up redirects using your own domain.

That can get a bit clunky to manage though!

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Note that Airtable’s URLs for the data layer are not random, and they can be easily reconstructed… they tell you the base ID (appxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx), the table ID (tblxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx), the view ID (viwxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx), and the record ID (recxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

Airtable’s URLs for the interface layer are actually more complicated if the view is filtered because they are encoded URLs contain all the filtering information, but non-filtered interfaces will tell you the base ID, the page ID, and the record ID.

More human-readable URLs would be nice to have, but the big problem with them is that they are fragile, meaning that they would break if someone changed the name of the base, table, or page/view. (And if they used the Record Name instead of the Record ID, they wouldn’t work at all if you had multiple records with the same primary field value.)

— ScottWorld, Expert Airtable Consultant Since 2018

rsmith-pivotbio

Yes, the URLs might be fragile. But I have seen other software be able to overcome that - Confluence as an example.