Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Color linked records to look like a single select

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Max_Goldberg1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I love using the Single Select (or Multiple Select) fields to add a pop of color to a table, and be able to see things at a glance. I also love how easy it is to change a Single Select field to a Linked Record field, and to automatically create a new table using the data from that field.

But I don’t love that all my colors go away when I do this. I gain so much functionality, but lose the ability to see things at a glance. I know I can add a little colored stripe to the side of record based on certain conditions, but it’s not the same as the colorful pills in either Single or Multiple Select fields.

What if there was a way to take the conditional coloring from one table, and use that to add color to that record when it appears in another table in a Linked Records field?

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 1.04.50 PM
Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 1.04.59 PM

12 Comments
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This is a great suggestion.

For now, you can include a colorful emoji in the primary field of the linked record. If your primary field is a formula field, you can even have the formula control which emoji to use depending on the state of the record. Then in your linked record fields you will be able to see things at a glance based on the emoji.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

For a workaround, I wrote an automation that tracks linked records and maps them into a coloured single select field on the table where you’re needing the colour. It works well, and you can limit permissions on the extra colour select so users don’t accidentally change/desync it.

But would I love to see this feature? Heck yeah! I’ve been wanting it for years.

thorimur
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I was wondering this myself! It seems like it was requested 5 years ago, and is long overdue.

Shahryar_Naqvi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Can you share how you did this? I’d love the feature too.

BroadStreet_Hea
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m so SO glad someone mentioned this. I love the color so much on our multiple select field. We now desperately need it to be a linked record field but can’t.quite.let.the.color.go.

Scott_Gould
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I wrote a script that when I change the Linked Field, it changes the select to match it - so that I have color :slightly_smiling_face:

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

I’d love to see Airtable allow colours that can then flow into the new Interfaces - and also to have colours better used with the KanBan/Gallery view too.

But the point still stands - Linked Records could really use a colour key/value added to their field class. Perhaps it’s far too hard for Airtable to implement due to legacy reasons? And if that is the case, then I often think of what’s preventing Airtable from either adding a new type of column to support such new features, or even, perhaps allowing Base versioning, where a base can be migrated from the old to the new - which would allow the new features to then become available…

Alas, at least we have the Automation workaround…

Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Totally Agree ! On many database I build a Tag table to improve le Select feature but it really lack of Color magnagement.

I also use the Color features for rows BUT there is no way to say take the color of this tardet field ... it's only a static color ...

Matthis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This feature would be great... looking forward to it being implemented.

G_Hockin_Ver
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have been searching all day on how to find out how and now see for years people have been wanting this feature. Lets go Airtable!! 

@Scott_Gould May you share or explain the script you wrote and where you wrote it? in a column next to the linked record?