Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Delay Filtering When Editing

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Donald_Newlands
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

It would be great if Airtable could hold off applying filters until I have exited the record or row I am editing. Right now if I need to edit a column of values that trigger a filter, I have to edit the values one at a time, slowly, because every time I set the value the record disappears from under me before I can do any other editing on the record or drag/fill other records.

5 Comments
Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

When you edit a record and your edits cause the record to be filtered, the record will go into a popped-out state. When a record is popped out, it should be possible to edit other values in the record. The popped-out record will disappear only when you select another record. If you’re having trouble editing other values in the same record after it’s filtered, that may be a bug; email support@airtable.com to follow up.

As you’ve noticed, it’s currently not possible to use the fill handle from a popped-out record. For that scenario we recommend temporarily removing the filters from the view, or switching to an unfiltered view.

Trey_Harris
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree completely! This is single-handedly stopping our organization from using Airtable more; people have added rows, only to have the whole row disappear on them if they accidentally click instead of Tab across the row. I’m trying to convert them to use the Form view but it’s hard for some people to remember to switch views.

Donald_Newlands
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi Matt,
The “popped-out” record state is not working consistently for me. It often only shows half the record and it covers up other information on the table and we are unable to use drag and drop handles etc. A much better solution IMHO would be to simply change the border highlight, but leave the record in place. It’s very frustrating situation that constantly happens. Temporarily disabling filters is a painful work around since there is no “disable” mode for filters – we have to delete and recreate them.
Thanks!
-Donald

HARRY_LEE
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there a solution yet?
I filtered the records with wrong status(single selection column) and I want to change those multiple rows to other status at the same time. I can’t do it because there is no small drop down square when I change the status.

Mohamed_Bin_Abd
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have been using Airtable for many years now. And this is by far the biggest pain point.

I group and filter records in order to edit them in bulk most of the time, but when I can’t even drag the fill handle what’s the point?

Why would I remove the filters when I purposely used them in order to edit the filtered rows? If I remove the filter how do I edit them in bulk?

It just doesn’t make sense! Have I somehow been missing something obvious for so many years, or what?

Please help!