Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Dynamic Row Height

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ron_F
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

As far as I can tell, currently you can set row heights to Short/Medium/Tall/Extra Tall. This height setting is applied to every row in the base.

It’d be nice if there could be a “dynamic height” option, where each individual row is set to a height depending on its longest content. So a row that has a cell which requires 5 lines to display will have a height of 5 lines, while a row whose longest cell is only 1 word will be still be the “Short” height.

This would be really useful for bases where we have text content that varies greatly in length (for example, user responses to an open-ended survey question). Right now, I have to set the height to “Extra Tall” to fit in most answers, but this wastes a lot of space because there are also lots of short answers which end up taking up way more space than they need.

19 Comments
Jay_Karel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Agreed! This would make a big impact on readability, especially when presenting to a group. It breaks up the flow when you have to expand just to see the rest of the text.

chrowe

It would be great to understand from Airtable why this is not a feature already. Is it just not being prioritized or is there some design decision for not doing it?

Mariah_Gregory

Agreed! Would like to have this feature.

Nick_Ahrens
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

A vote here as well. We track critical information in Airtable and without all text visible or some kind of truncation iconography, it’s easy to miss data.

Cheryl_Ng
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, agreed! I think there’s the option to custom expand the columns, but not the rows? Lots of people are asking for it, rather than having set row expansion heights by Airtable, we should be able to customize it and drag it the length.

Frieder
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’d like to see this as well.

C_G
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 from me as well. Sorely missed right now.

Tobias
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Really, really want this.

Darin_Bellisari
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 definitely - there’s some tables we still keep in Excel solely for this reason, as well as for Header text wrapping

Celeste_Bancos
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I agree! This would also be helpful for link fields which sometimes link to just one other record but other times link to many.

Right now if I want to be able to see all the linked records, I have to make the row height extra high, but that leaves a bunch of empty space in all the rows that have only one other record linked.

Screenshot 2020-10-22 133900

If I keep the row-height short, there’s no way to see all the linked records at a glance. I can’t even see how many there are without clicking the cell.

Screenshot 2020-10-22 134002