Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Expand Hidden Fields Features (sorting, filtering, and others)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zollie
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Problem

Bases organically grow pretty wide over time. When it comes time to reign that growth in, I usually use the hidden fields tool to quickly look through my fields before further inspecting them. The search feature helps, but it’s limited to filtering by keywords, which means I only find fields that are well named.

A Use Case

A user needs to look through ton of redundant due date fields. To find them, the user needs to repeatedly scour hundreds of fields for anything of the ‘date’ field type before being able to inspect more carefully. Likewise, they’ll need to look for other field types (formulas, single line text) that can also serve up date related data.

Solution(s)

At minimum, it’d be useful to sort the hidden fields by ‘field type,’ but I’m sure there are other ideas worth exploring as well - such as alphabetical sorting, who and when the field was created (other great ones in the comments).

5 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Note that you can type in the hidden field list to filter that list.

Zollie
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

For sure. And filtering by additional parameters (such as field type) would also be a good solve. As is, we’re limited to keywords, which means we’re really only finding fields that are well named.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Oh, I see what you’re saying! Yes, that’s a fantastic idea!

It would be really nice to be able to filter/sort on different criteria, such as “field type”.

Also, filter/sort by “creation time”, “person who created the field”, etc.

Paul_Warren
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

YES! This would be incredibly helpful!! Also, three more things:

• the ability to move all hidden fields to the end of the field list, so you can more easily move around those that are not hidden.

• The ability to edit field Name, Type, and Description from the Fields List.

• The ability to Hide and Delete multiple fields at the same time from the Fields List would be a huge help!

Zollie
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Revisiting this post. Today I am merging multiple similar databases each with roughly 100 fields. I am manually sorting the field order alphabetically for each table to ensure when I migrate data from one table to the next, the field values match.

Edit: For anyone dealing with the same issue, this CSV Import extension ended up helping, but something in the interface for sorting would have made this quicker.