Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Feature Request: Dynamic Field Updates for Button Actions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sean_Murphy1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would like to request a feature enhancement for the "Update record" action when configuring buttons within Airtable. Currently, when setting up a button to update specific fields, it is only possible to select static, pre-defined values. However, there is no ability to set dynamic field updates based on values in other fields.

For instance, in my use case, I want to assign the value of the Assignee field based on the value of another field, Approving Manager, but I can only select a specific user. This limitation makes it difficult to create flexible automations and workflows that can adjust dynamically based on the content of the record.

Proposed Feature: I propose adding the ability to dynamically set the value of a field (like Assignee) based on the content of another field in the same record (like Approving Manager). This would allow for much more powerful workflows and significantly reduce the need for manual intervention in automations.

Benefits:

1. Increased automation flexibility.
  2. Ability to automatically assign tasks to the correct team members without hardcoding values.
  3. Streamlined approval workflows where managers or approvers are dynamically assigned based on the content of other fields.

I believe this feature would be incredibly beneficial for many users managing approval processes, task assignments, or other dynamic workflows.

Thank you for considering this request. I look forward to seeing how this could improve Airtable’s capabilities.

1 Comment
zazadi
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Iam also for this feature because i had similiar situations where i needed this possibility. Workaround for me was to trigger an automation when clicking the button and update the fields throught an automation.