Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Field type Request: Checkbox List

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steven_Hambleto
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This is a big one but I’d love to see a checkbox list field.

I can then ditch Trello!

37 Comments
BenInDallas
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

A checklist would be very useful, and quite easy to create, if Airtable incorporated a feature like the Nested Table I’ve described here: New Field Type: Nested Table

In this case, you’d just created a new field (let’s call it “Checklist”) and set the field type to the newly added “Nested Table”. Then you identify whatever columns you want in your table (at very least, you’d need a column for the check box, a column for the description; but you might also want columns for due date, priority, etc). Now, you can add rows for as many checklist items as you need.

Carlos_Pita
5 - Automation Enthusiast

See this for a more general solution Generalize multi-valued types

Nick_Rothwell

Just to jump in here - I see that an attempt to group checkboxes via a Lookup column (against multiple records) results in a single checkbox, whose value appears to be “checked” if any of the linked columns’ checkboxes are checked, and clear otherwise. I’m finding this useful, but undocumented, and could see the use for “and” (all linked checkboxes checked) as well as “or” (one or more linked checkboxes checked). Though: “and” would need well-defined behaviour for an empty linked set.

Nick_Rothwell

(What I’m using this for is a view filter in Calendar mode: show items where linked columns are checked. If it were a checkbox list, then I can see the argument for having a view filter for all boxes checked, and for any boxes checked - and the inverses.)

Alex_Sharp
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 A subtask checklist is very important and pretty standard in task management systems, which is a pretty common use case for Airtable. You should be able to easily add a checklist to a record. It should be a first-class feature rather than a workaround.

William_Nutt
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 on ditching Trello once this is implemented!

Scott_Tousley
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 please! The only reason we haven’t completed ditched Trello is because Airtable doesn’t have this subtask checklist feature. You will destroy the competition as soon as you build this! :slightly_smiling_face:

Chris_Lu
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 to this. We’d like to use Forms using multiselect responses containing a large amount of text. The multiselect field type won’t display the full response text. Multiple check boxes would resolve this.

David_Isaac
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Great idea. A lightweight alternative to a linked detail table, and easier to copy/reuse.
One implementation suggestion: if this was done as a rich text field (say, an extension to a multiple lines of text field) and I could include checkboxes in a table, that would be a really flexible solution. Then I could use Airtable to manage test cases (Step Number, Expected Value, Actual Value, Done Checkbox columns), employee on-boarding (Step, Notes, Done Checkbox columns), etc.

Leonardo_Cesar_
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I want this feature too! …