Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Filter Linked Field based on the value of another field

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tom_Kerswill
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It is great that we are able to restrict the selection of a Linked Field based on view.

What I really need is to be able to restrict the selection based on a kind of dynamic view.

Here’s an example. I have Clients, Tasks and Expenses table.

In the expenses table, I select a linked Client. I then select a linked Task. When I click to select the task, I am shown all tasks for all clients. I’d like to restrict the view so that I only see tasks related to the selected client.

Is this possible? I think it would probably require having parameters in views and then the ability to set that parameter based on the value of a field or formula.

2 Comments
Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

You can do that right now, check this:

https://community.airtable.com/search?q=conditional%20linked

Tom_Kerswill
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks! I think that list of posts doesn’t quite show the same thing. To make a clearer example:

Suppose I have a field called ‘Category’ and a field called ‘Subcategory’.

If I select ‘Fruit’ from Category then Subcategory should show a choice of Banana, Apple, Pear - any subcategory where type = fruit.

If I choose ‘Cheese’ from category it should show Edam, Cheddar, Stilton - any subcategory where type=cheese.

It is now possible to do this with views, so I could have a Fruits view and a cheeses view.

But my use case (showing only tasks relating to a client) has multiple clients added a day, so manually creating a new view for every client doesn’t work.

I’m after a way of parameterizing the view to narrow the choice of linked records based on which category the user selected.

Tom