Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Filter View in Table 1 by linked records in View on Table 2

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_Warren
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hello Friends!

Proposal
Add a filter option called “Records linked to records in View XXX from Table YYY”. Then you can build the rest of your filters on top of that. This would eliminate a TON of tedious updates that often lead to confusion when manual updates are not applied properly to all views.

Supporting Details
It would be really useful if I could filter a view in Table 1 based on the filters in another view in a linked Table (Table 2).

I often find myself duplicating view filters. We have a Tasks table (Table 1) with a Projects table (Table 2). Oftentimes our understanding of what is a “current project” develops over time. Every time we change how we filter our views, I have to update views in both tables.

1 Comment
Valentin_GUENIC
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I think this could be nice if only it was possible to update views through automations.
But updating a view is not possible in the API so it's not within automations.

And I agree, we can find maaaaany people trying to update a linked field depending on the selection of another field. But there's also people trying to update a linked field depending on the selection of another field through a common field (example : I want to be able to filter accessories displaying only the compatible ones (common field) with the hardware I have selected in another field).

There's a workaround, but it's a pain to maintain, you can't use it on more than 2 fields at the same time (it's been used for nested lists of categories for example) and it's unusable if you don't finish the operation (it means you have to complete the two fields or the hack will not work anymore like it should).

So please, try to help us building powerful databases : allow us to filter linked fields by other criteria than views OR, for the begining, allow us to update views in automations based on the content of a common field between parent and children tables.