I love the new Base Schema block. As a content strategist, it has some really great potential applications. The degree of control in the settings, however, is far too limited to be useful for complex bases—which is likely to be a major use case. Some controls I’d need to have to be able to put this to practical use (in order of priority):
- Select which tables within a base to map
- Choose to map all fields, or only non-hidden fields.
- Apply specific colors to connection types that persist, not just on rollover
- Apply specific line type (e.g. dashed, dotted, solid) to connection types that persist, not just on rollover
Additionally, I’d love to see the following enhancements:
- Export to PDF or PNG (table stakes for any visualization, if you ask me)
- Bézier control over the line curves
I so want to be able to make good use of this block, and will continue playing with it in more simple bases. From my limited interaction so far, it’s not super usable for the types of bases it would be truly useful for. I do love that I can rearrange the position of the tables, and the interactivity of the lines is nice (though feels like secondary importance to some of the stuff in my list above).