Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Form Feature Request: Add New Linked Records in Interface Forms

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Christopher_Bre
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Iโ€™d like to request the ability to add new linked records in interface forms. I use forms for adding data and I need to be able to create new linked records. this is a huge limitation at this time.

7 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, this is an unfortunate limitation with ALL the forms in Airtable, not just the forms in interfaces. It would be a really nice feature to have!

In the meantime, one good (free) workaround for this would be to create a completely different form that adds records into the linked record table. And then, back on your original form, you can give people a link to click on which guides them to the other form.

You could put some text on the form that says something like:

If the option youโ€™re looking for doesnโ€™t exist in the list, please go to this form to add it: https://www.example.com/

Alternatively, for a paid workaround to this dilemma, MiniExtensions.com offers this feature natively on their forms. You can create new linked records in their forms.

The brand new On2Air: Forms might offer this feature as wellโ€ฆ I donโ€™t see it listed on their product page, but @Hannah_Wiginton would know for sure about that!

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Me too.

For a workaround, you can get Linked Field records created with an Automation upon a Form being logged, but they require time to setup, modify and maintain - overhead to keep in mind.

Have your Automation trigger upon a New Form Record being created, and then copy the various fields youโ€™re needing into a Linked Fields (perhaps after some data cleansing or duplication checks) - I found the Script Action was a must have for this process.

One main problem that I found with Automations for this purpose (of creating Linked Records from Forms), is that they can easily clash with Automations that trigger upon new record creation - as there are no prerequisites that prevent other Automations from triggering when a new record is created by a form (again, more workaroundsโ€ฆ)

AntonyT
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Wanted to mention another new way you could do this (for free!) is with fillout.com - itโ€™ll take less than 3 minutes or so to connect your Airtable and youโ€™ll be able to create new linked records in your form. We have a quick help article here if youโ€™d like to see it in action!

Frame 405

Hannah_Wiginton
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Yeah, unfortunately not an option yet in Interfaces.

You can create a dashboard and add new linked records with On2Air Forms.

You can sign up for a free account here

SubForms-forms-main
Dashboard view - Forms main

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Very cool, @Hannah_Wiginton!! Thanks! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: On the page that you linked to above, and on the main landing page for On2Air Forms, it doesnโ€™t list creating/editing linked records as a feature. That might be a good one to add to the list! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hannah_Wiginton
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Thanks Scott! Iโ€™ll add that feature on the Forms beta. We have a new webpage for On2Air Forms, but itโ€™s not live just yet. :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

manarahmad
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is a feature that is a must have. On top of what I see above, we need to restrict the ability for the person filling out the form to be able to see existing records in the linked table. Specifically this is because we want parents to be able to register themselves (create a parent record) and their children (create linked student records) for a class without seeing the details of all the other children that already exist in the table. 

I feel that this isn't a monumental leap from the functionality that already exists in Interface forms. Just need it within Airtable rather than going through third party systems (eg Zoho Forms, miniextensions etc).