Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Form to edit data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katherine_Harkn
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

At the moment the form only allows input of new data. Can we have a form for editing existing records? At the moment we can only edit in the table meaning I can’t present the records the way I want. Can’t even hide columns on mobile, meaning the users are free to wreak havoc on the existing data :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

163 Comments
Larsen_Garma
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’d like to have this feature too.

Specifically… I have a team of 4 translators I work with to translate English (promotional/sales copy) into 4 different languages. I cannot (at least don’t know how to) do that with Forms because it’ll create a new row for each entry. I thought allowing them to edit the entries could be another option. But there are so many columns that the view gets a little cluttered. I’m thinking to create Table 2, just for these translations, and then using the Lookup field in Table 1, to automatically populate the fields. I’d prefer not to have an extra table just for that.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Carol_Pallai
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have been looking for the capabilities that everyone here has noted. It’s pretty plain what we need. Is there any chance you will be adding this Editable -AutoFilled Form feature soon?

I need it for current contacts ordering a gift. Need them to confirm email, name and address is correct, then choose a gift from a pull down menu.

Andrew_Barry
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We really do need this functionality too.

We would use it to have clients provide us with certain information related to a specific record. They would need to have access to a few pre-populated fields within a record, and then to be able to edit additional blank fields to complete the record.

Thanks to Michael Crinnion for the possible workaround in the meantime.

But please, Airtable, this is such a crucial use case of your otherwise brilliant product!

Rachel_Niemer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Here is my use case:
I want team member Camille to not be able to edit almost any data in the base. But, weekly, Camille fills out a form for each of her projects that updates/edits the Key Accomplishments and Key Challenges fields for her project. These fields show up in my Kanban board view which I (the only person with full access to the base) use as a dashboard to assess the status of each project.

Here’s what I’ve tried:
I have created a base that contains information about every project our team is working on. I am using “table:Main” to create a Kanban board that shows me which projects every team member is point person for. One of the fields in “table:Main” is “field:Key accomplishments for this week.” I don’t need to see any past “field:key accomplishments” reports, so I would rather not create a blank field for each weekly report, I want my team to just be able to edit their projects, no one else’s, and I don’t want them to be able to edit certain fields for their projects (project goals, main deliverables).

I can, and have, created a “Reports” table, where the main field is today’s date (the date team member is submitting the report), and the second field links to the “field:Projects” in the “table:Main” table. Third field in “Reports” is the “field:Project Goals” from “table:Main.”

In form view of “table:Reports” I then want a text field that fills (i.e. overwrites) “field:Key accomplishments for this week” in “table:Main”

I am struggling to see a work around where the “field:Key accomplishments” in “table:Main” is the most recent entry from “table:Reports”

Without the ability to edit fields via form (as opposed to creating a new record), does anyone have a formula for searching the “table:Reports” for the most recent entry (probably with a calculated/formula field using dates) for each “field:Project” and then using a lookup field for that record in “table:Reports” to fill “field:Key accomplishments” in “table:Main”?

Paul_Teplitz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’ll another use case that I could use this feature for. I run a collegiate outdoors program. One of our biggest programs is a wilderness orientation program. For that, we have students register not long after they accept their spot at the school. That registration creates a row in a “Participants” table. However, not all students who register end up coming - there are other programs they may choose to do. So, about a month after registering we ask all students to confirm they are going to participate, and if they are, we ask for some preferences about the type of trip they would like to go on.

As I see it, I need a way to student to check back in with us and give us her preferences, but those preferences need to be linked to the initial “Participants” record. A modifiable, pre-filled form would work. Or, if there is another way I can do this, I’m open to all ideas.

Julien_Lafleur1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Benjamin,
I agree! I have wanted this feature for quite a while, and it would be incredibly useful!
Julien

James_Haslam
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree this enhancement would take Airtable to a whole new level. Currently is only data capture / transactional data, being able to all ‘end user edit’ would be great.

Thom_Hounsell
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Bump for this idea. More specifically, what I’d really like is to be able to add a field to a table that auto-generates a unique URL for editing the record, using a form view. That way, I can send a personalized email to each of my club members, inviting them to click the link to edit their contact info. This would be ideal for me because it would give me the opportunity to enable my members to self-care for their data without needing to issue and manage passwords for each of them.

Dan_Weaver
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Is there any news on this feature from the Airtable team? @Katherine_Duh, @Howie ?

Ryan_Hayden
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Agree, we just did a custom job for a client that was basically this exactly. (using custom forms over the API). This feature would have saved them a bunch of money.